Whats the cost of CS30/31 these days?

Woodworks

I sort of hoped someone involved in training would explain why it does cost so much but none so far.

Alternatively it is just a cash cow where they have us over a barrel but hope I'm wrong.

From where I'm sitting, trainers want paying and by Christ they earn it most of the time.

You then have admin staff, cost of replacing equipment if required, overheads of work shop and cost of replacement tools, fuel, oils. Payment for someone to deal with timber and debris after course.The list could go on and on.

Only 4 candidates on each course if I remember correctly so at rough guess each is paying about 130 ish per day. Not too hard to see where the cash goes.:001_smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sort of hoped someone involved in training would explain why it does cost so much but none so far.

Alternatively it is just a cash cow where they have us over a barrel but hope I'm wrong.

FISA have definately got on it as a stealth tax as it were; don't get me started on those crooks..

From where I'm sitting, trainers want paying and by Christ they earn it most of the time.

You then have admin staff, cost of replacing equipment if required, overheads of work shop and cost of replacement tools, fuel, oils. Payment for someone to deal with timber and debris after course.The list could go on and on.

Only 4 candidates on each course if I remember correctly so at rough guess each is paying about 130 ish per day. Not too hard to see where the cash goes.:001_smile:

Seems you have summed it up Tommy_B. I have even heard of instances where trainers/assessor must first pay for the trees... They are a resource after all.

what about us employers we have to pay lads wage for week on top of his training for the week and for that week that lad hasnt earnt the company anything

in forestry our margins are very slim so it hurts our pocket but what can you do. i believe in training and safety first but this industry what with fisa training and refresher courses its no joke

joy

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Amen to that, don't forget the extremely expensive +f first aid courses.

Seems you have summed it up Tommy_B. I have even heard of instances where trainers/assessor must first pay for the trees... They are a resource after all.

Not really accurate. The candidate for 30/31 Has to bring along their own kit, tools, fuel, oil, ppe. The admin is minimal. If done well the course will sacrifice a few trees for training but the rest (as on my 31/32/34 &35) were all left on site at product lengths. So felled for free/windblow cleared for free. These short courses are exceptionally profitable for all involved.

Not really accurate. The candidate for 30/31 Has to bring along their own kit, tools, fuel, oil, ppe. The admin is minimal. If done well the course will sacrifice a few trees for training but the rest (as on my 31/32/34 &35) were all left on site at product lengths. So felled for free/windblow cleared for free. These short courses are exceptionally profitable for all involved.

That's how I remember it :thumbup:

I'm afraid it is accurate. You have described the ideal which is how it should happen. One of my closest mates is an NPTC trainer and some of the things I have heard are a long way from ideal. I'm not going to name examples as what I have been told in conversation is just that but he certainly has no reason to lie.

Maybe if these courses are so lucrative, we should all be training and raking it in. Low overheads, all candidates showing up prepared and suitable and 3k a week. Why not:001_smile:

I'm afraid it is accurate. You have described the ideal which is how it should happen. One of my closest mates is an NPTC trainer and some of the things I have heard are a long way from ideal. I'm not going to name examples as what I have been told in conversation is just that but he certainly has no reason to lie.

Maybe if these courses are so lucrative, we should all be training and raking it in. Low overheads, all candidates showing up prepared and suitable and 3k a week. Why not:001_smile:

I'm only going on first hand experience. I'd love to become a trainer but it's sown up tighter than a mallards posterior.

I must have been very privileged, I know that all of the timber I've felled on courses has been extracted and used. The felling done for free.

That's on council, Fc, conservation NGO and utilities land. It is not the responsibility of an instructor to supply equipment. If that is agreed as part of a course fine, and then remuneration is expected.

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/pss/course_finder/73681-1/8/short_course_programme_award_in_chainsaw_maintenance_crosscutting_and_felling_trees_up_to_380mm_(formerly_cs30_and_cs31).aspx#howtoapply

£645 assessment included.

Was about £525 when I did mine. (2011) Ironically I'd contacted the same instructor independently as they were running their own courses too. For £750 per person. Go figure.

There is a lot of rdpe funding about if your situation satisfies the criteria. Speak to your local rdpe office and see who is their local provider in your region.