Minimum size of chain saw?

Logrod

Not wishing to start a 'mine's bigger than yours' argument, but I can confirm that re-grinding a crosscut chain to ripping for an 88" bar is a good way to use up half a day.... Yes, for running long bars for milling you really need a grinder, to keep all the teeth the same length and angle.

Andrew - I would suggest you might as well go for a 36" mill. There is no down side really to the longer rails and you can use it with a 25" bar, but then if you ever do upgrade to a larger saw (which from your post sounds like it's eventually inevitable :001_smile:) you will already have the mill. The price difference is trivial.

Alec

88"!?! Even with a grinder, that's long and laborious! Imagine hand sharpening...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Andrew - I would suggest you might as well go for a 36" mill. There is no down side really to the longer rails and you can use it with a 25" bar, but then if you ever do upgrade to a larger saw (which from your post sounds like it's eventually inevitable :001_smile:) you will already have the mill. The price difference is trivial.

Alec

I suspect you're right Alec. I've had my eye on a burr oak tree on a neighbours land for a while which should have enough timber in it to make buying an MS660 worthwhile. So it probably is inevitable.....

Re upgrading from the small log mill to a bigger mill, I've a spare post and a spares bag of bolts, etc, so I'm proposing to just buy a bracing kit and a rail kit to construct the larger mill for about £100. I assume this would work?

Andrew

Plenty of big old stihls on eBay, from the 051 up to an 076, only one 070 though, and 2 contra's

They had just ended unfortunately, both from the same seller:

Stihl 070 chainsaw with 25" bar. | eBay

Sets the benchmark price quite nicely though - I would say that is reasonable, although if you hit really lucky you might get £50 off that :001_smile:

Alec

They had just ended unfortunately, both from the same seller:

Stihl 070 chainsaw with 25" bar. | eBay

Sets the benchmark price quite nicely though - I would say that is reasonable, although if you hit really lucky you might get £50 off that :001_smile:

Alec

HI MATE im sure my dad has one like 070/076 saw he does not use it so he will sale it thanks jon :thumbup:

I'm based near Manchester Eddy.

Anyway based on the fact that I'm going to need

a saw

a mill

a ripping chain (assuming the saw doesn't come with one)

and a grinder/sharpener

I suspect it'll be a few months before I splash out... by which time it'll be snowing which will probably delay me even further :biggrin: