SRT And DRT Project

Brocky-6

Hi, I am doing a Arb degree at Uni and need some opinions of people within the industry for a project.

The project is on Double Rope Techniques and Single Rope Techniques and I know that's a massive field but I would appreciate it if you could tell me which system you use and why you prefer it, or if you use both but for different situations.

Thanks for your time

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climb both but I use SRTWP for anything that I have to use a throwline for as it usually means it's going to be large and it means I don't have to isolate my anchor.

I use ddrt for anything small enough to efficiently climb from the bottom.

Hope this is helpful

I use SRT to access most trees I climb then switch over to Doubled rope work positioning, leaving the SRT line in for rescue situation second climber or just to make my life easier after lunch. I prefer DRT because I am so used to it, it offers me all the options I need to negotiate a crown easily and efficiently in the climbing I do,particularly with a hitchclimber set-up. But do think SRT work positioning is just as effective and in some situations more effcient.

I switch between the 2. I find srtwp is great if the tree has an open canopy also if there is rigging involved as its easy to keep your line out the way. Srt is also good on poles as you r strangled off so there is always the option to leave the tree quickly.

Hope this helps good luck with your project.

Long ascent and descent - SRT

DRt most everwhere else except when too much

friction is being applied from the ropes crossing over many leads/limbs

Many times SRT is actually DRt in reverse becasue of the necessity to

double back on the single line to return from limb walk or ascend.

Drt is easier when going vertical when one hand can capture progress thru the

split tail and the other arm and legs are free to climb

SRt is always easier when the rope is your only choice for progress and forces you to make use of

foot, sternal and handled ascending tools where double rope makes it easier to hand over hand.

Srt forces you to utilize your feet/legs more.

SRt for chunking down also, it is easier than drt because you simply choke your tip plus with an easy retrieval

Edited by RopeKnight