Which brushcutter for brambles?

Ryan

I have bought circa 2 acres of standing timber for clearfelling consisting mainly of oak ash and birch. Real nice timber but it hasn't been looked after or maintained and as such some areas are quite dense with brambles and briars. I was thinking today while I was whipping away with a slasher, there has got to be a handier way.

I reckon a srtimmer/brushcutter with a metal blade would be a much better idea. Cound anyone recommend any particular make and model which would stand a bit of work. Something that I could trim grass at home with too.

I have a budget equivalent to a used MS200t. Im going to sell one of my saws to fund the brushcutter.

You need to use a mulching head not a cutter. If cut you end up with 6 foot longs bits of barbed wire like dried brambles that trip you up for years to come.

The Stihl mulcher is excellent, cuts them into 4 inch bits and will even grind the roots out on lighter less stoney soils.

Unfortunately you need a powerful machine to drive one but I've done about 4 acres this year and it's excellent.

look for a good second hand sthil or husky with a 50cc engine then you can if wanted put a clearing blade on it with a mlcher blade will kill the brambles. leave some though for wildlife. lot of woodland butterflies and moths like brambles and good cover for ground nesting birds