My stihl won't run on Aspen - problem solved

Marcl

I think that is a fairly unfair post. Hundreds of people use aspen with no problems. Certainly, as far as I'm aware, no 'conversion' is needed. Sure in some cases rubber parts will show their weaknesses, but if they are replaced and it's an occasional use machine it's probably beneficial in the long run. A few weeks ago I used Aspen in my ms290, it's 5 or 6 years old but had very little use (as in it's only on its second chain and the paint is just starting to wear off the bar). I had problems with idling and dipping high revs as the pump fuel I was using was getting stale due to the little work I use 2stroke engines for. I emptied the tank, filled with Aspen now it runs good as new. No conversion and no carb retune/rubber replacement, I'd be questioning your dealer and what his conversion consists of...

It's NOT an unfair post because it's the Aspen dealer's words i'm just passing them on here.

I have searched on Arbtalk and found a lot of people have had similar problems to me. They, in many cases have been sorted by a little re-tune. The problem is both Aspen and the Aspen dealer told me they would run fine, the dealer rang Aspen whilst I was there. Now if he had told me it might need a re-tune I could have made a more informed decision, especially if it was going to cost me money as the dealer is now saying.

Maybe Aspen should tell all of there dealers to mention this. It seems only fair to me.

Marc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's NOT an unfair post because it's the Aspen dealer's words i'm just passing them on here.

I have searched on Arbtalk and found a lot of people have had similar problems to me. They, in many cases have been sorted by a little re-tune. The problem is both Aspen and the Aspen dealer told me they would run fine, the dealer rang Aspen whilst I was there. Now if he had told me it might need a re-tune I could have made a more informed decision, especially if it was going to cost me money as the dealer is now saying.

Maybe Aspen should tell all of there dealers to mention this. It seems only fair to me.

Marc.

Hi Marcl,

The retune is turning the mixture screws which is a 2 second job! if you had a problem with the rubbers or carb from aspen it would run then play up yours has not run from the first drop of Aspen so as others have posted I think you have another fault. There is NO CONVERSION JOB!

Please call me on 07568 108953

All the best Eddie

Marc.

You obviously didn't look hard enough on here, there's a whole damn thread, and stop getting hung up on 'its only 2 years old', I've had year old machines where the fuel lines, carb diaphragms have split, alternatively, I have a 44 year old saw, and the only part degraded in its lifespan is the oil pump diaphragm, do I blame aspen? No! It's one of those things in this job where a lot of the parts are consumable parts! Also, if your dealer wants £40 for a retune, you need a better dealer, mine tunes my machines for free, it's a 5 minute job

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

You obviously didn't look hard enough on here, there's a whole damn thread, and stop getting hung up on 'its only 2 years old', I've had year old machines where the fuel lines, carb diaphragms have split, alternatively, I have a 44 year old saw, and the only part degraded in its lifespan is the oil pump diaphragm, do I blame aspen? No! It's one of those things in this job where a lot of the parts are consumable parts! Also, if your dealer wants £40 for a retune, you need a better dealer, mine tunes my machines for free, it's a 5 minute job

It's no use having a go at me! Have a go at my dealer he's the one that said 2/3 hours!

I have searched and read Aspen threads. Some have problems some don't. I have no doubt they can be sorted with a quick re-tune. My dealer seems to think this is going to cost, as above.

Just spoke with Eddie from Aspen, nice guy, is going to find out what the problem is and sort it.:thumbup1:

Marc.

It's no use having a go at me! Have a go at my dealer he's the one that said 2/3 hours!

I have searched and read Aspen threads. Some have problems some don't. I have no doubt they can be sorted with a quick re-tune. My dealer seems to think this is going to cost, as above.

Just spoke with Eddie from Aspen, nice guy, is going to find out what the problem is and sort it.:thumbup1:

Marc.

You need a new repair dealer, or alternatively, read the ENTIRE 'what's on my bench thread' and learn to do your own servicing, I would assume though for £40 he'll take the carb off and clean it, new carb kit, fuel filter, possibly fuel lines, check the carb boot and retune after reassembly.

Where are you based?

You need a new repair dealer, or alternatively, read the ENTIRE 'what's on my bench thread' and learn to do your own servicing, I would assume though for £40 he'll take the carb off and clean it, new carb kit, fuel filter, possibly fuel lines, check the carb boot and retune after reassembly.

Where are you based?

I agree with you entirely. Actually he said two to three hours not £40, that was me guessing. It could be a lot more. Like I said Eddie from Aspen wants to fix it.

From early on I have said I don't want to slag off Aspen, fundamentally I think it is great fuel. The problem has probably been made worse by the dealer not saying 'bring it in I'll tune in two minutes'.

It won't put me off.:001_cool:

I agree with you entirely. Actually he said two to three hours not £40, that was me guessing. It could be a lot more. Like I said Eddie from Aspen wants to fix it.

From early on I have said I don't want to slag off Aspen, fundamentally I think it is great fuel. The problem has probably been made worse by the dealer not saying 'bring it in I'll tune in two minutes'.

It won't put me off.:001_cool:

Hi All, As Marc has said I am driving up next week to have a look and get this all sorted for him. We will all know the facts after I look / fix the machine myself.

All a bit strange and I am very keen to help him and get to the bottom of it all.

Eddie

Hi All, As Marc has said I am driving up next week to have a look and get this all sorted for him. We will all know the facts after I look / fix the machine myself.

All a bit strange and I am very keen to help him and get to the bottom of it all.

Eddie

Will be an interesting one Eddie, make sure you get some photos for your book ready for the APF next year :lol: I'm going to guess at something simple and a 5 min job.

Marc, I do recommend you read the bench thread though, when I first started on this site, I could only do basic maintenance, now I have rebuilt several machines and starting another at the end of the month

Will be an interesting one Eddie, make sure you get some photos for your book ready for the APF next year :lol: I'm going to guess at something simple and a 5 min job.

Marc, I do recommend you read the bench thread though, when I first started on this site, I could only do basic maintenance, now I have rebuilt several machines and starting another at the end of the month

I will read it, I love 'how to' threads and maintain a my tools myself normally. It can save you a lot money for sure. No more going to dealers and getting charged for new fufu valve.:lol:

Marc.

I will read it, I love 'how to' threads and maintain a my tools myself normally. It can save you a lot money for sure. No more going to dealers and getting charged for new fufu valve.:lol:

Marc.

It's a great thread mate, & if you need advice it is a good place to ask.:thumbup1: