My log pricing this year

gensetsteve

Then comes the biggest shock of all people who spend their time and money on equipment and petrol cutting up logs want paying.

Nice man in the stove shop said if we spend 4k on burner and install, pay back will be a year with free wood maybe a bit longer if we pay £50 for a transit load.

The truth Steve.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or who correctly see it as a luxury item and are prepared to pay for it. And there are plenty of people like that.

Hooray!

I'm sort of in this camp.

I know very well that bought in wood, briquettes or even smokeless are not going to be cheaper than mains gas.

It's quite interesting reading on here about costs that some of you guys have to cover.

Is it an economy of scale that individuals / small business can't achieve that is the issue?

Are you now getting mugged by the land owners as they see more "value" in the timber or is it just general COL that is overtaking it all.

On the flip side of all of this there is also the fact i enjoy having a "fire" and i will confess I also have my, somewhat, paranoid eye on the "grid".

The lack of long term planning with regards to power generation over the last two decades is going to come home to roost at some point.

If either gas or electric gets into any sort of rationed state it's always nice to have some alternative.

Mind you i went into "stove ownership" with my eyes fully open, i suspect a lot of people are getting sold a dream about free heating which a lot of you gentleman have to then suffer the brunt of.

Edited by AlleyCat`

...or who correctly see it as a luxury item and are prepared to pay for it. And there are plenty of people like that.

I stand corrected - I deal with a lot of people moving into the New Forest and the two things they want are a wood burner and an Aga, because that's what you 'must have' when living in the country....:001_huh: £15 grand later (not to me unfortunately).

Recession - what recession? Fuel shortage - what fuel shortage?

There was another article in one of the broad sheets a couple of years ago (the Observer or Guardian, I think) that ripped the whole wood burner thing apart. Doesn't make much sense unless you want a warm bum when sh*gg*ng on the carpet :biggrin:

Do any of you sell logs constantly to people with only wood fired heating?

I'm sort of in this camp.

I know very well that bought in wood, briquettes or even smokeless are not going to be cheaper than mains gas.

It's quite interesting reading on here about costs that some of you guys have to cover.

Is it an economy of scale that individuals / small business can't achieve that is the issue?

Are you now getting mugged by the land owners as they see more "value" in the timber or is it just general COL that is overtaking it all.

On the flip side of all of this there is also the fact i enjoy having a "fire" and i will confess I also have my, somewhat, paranoid eye on the "grid".

The lack of long term planning with regards to power generation over the last two decades is going to come home to roost at some point.

If either gas or electric gets into any sort of rationed state it's always nice to have some alternative.

Mind you i went into "stove ownership" with my eyes fully open, i suspect a lot of people are getting sold a dream about free heating which a lot of you gentleman have to then suffer the brunt of.

I dont think its so much the land owners but the government decided to put a tax of £15 a tonne on everything comming out of forestry commission sites about 3 years ago. So all the private estates upped their price as well. If you process 500 tonnes and dont make much money doing 1000 tonnes means you dont have time to do something else profitable along side. Best solution I found dont do any :biggrin:

I dont think its so much the land owners but the government decided to put a tax of £15 a tonne on everything comming out of forestry commission sites about 3 years ago. So all the private estates upped their price as well. If you process 500 tonnes and dont make much money doing 1000 tonnes means you dont have time to do something else profitable along side. Best solution I found dont do any :biggrin:

Fair one.

It's little bits of information like that us consumer types don't really ever see.

Fair one.

It's little bits of information like that us consumer types don't really ever see.

I think most of the guys on here see it completely from the customers point of view its a huge amount of money for a drop of wood on the drive. From the log mans point of view there is only a very poor wage with big bills always around the corner. The trick to getting quality logs is keep it all local and dont shop round for the cheapest price and find someone you can trust you may find the quality drops in the winter but an honest person will tell you.

I think most of the guys on here see it completely from the customers point of view its a huge amount of money for a drop of wood on the drive. From the log mans point of view there is only a very poor wage with big bills always around the corner. The trick to getting quality logs is keep it all local and dont shop round for the cheapest price and find someone you can trust you may find the quality drops in the winter but an honest person will tell you.

Spot on. I feel guilty at my pricing sometimes, but I know it's not worth doing it for less, and the customers seem very happy indeed - they come back again and again saying how wonderful the last ones were compared to the competition.

I just wouldn't pay it myself (which is how I got started producing logs anyway). But I wouldn't buy a £70k Mercedes saloon, either. I provide a product those folks wish to pay for, and I respect that.