4X4 Tippers

MAX

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would buy a tracked chipper, keep the cabstar, put general grabbers on the back wheels, and fit a self recovery winch.

Tracked chippers mostly use a very similar track platform, except for greenmech who have their own system, so whichever you buy the track side of things will be pretty similar.

And a tractor please too santa........

I could see myself in a tractor!

Grabbers?

last time i tried to put some deep treaded tyres on the back i was advised not to, as anything but 9ply wouldn't take the weight. apparently? is this right?

a winch is a good idea for the cabi too.

.......and also a winch please santa

anyone got santa's address?

The 110 Hi-cap has a standard gross vehicle weight of 3050kg, there is the heavy duty option availiable which makes it 3500kg. They are thin on the ground second hand. The rear body is very easy to remove from a 110 or a second hand exutility 130. We did ours in less than 3 hrs.

Max,

Its horses for courses, I still belive now there ain't such thing as a perfect vehicle. you need to way up the pro's and con's.

I hear what pete says about 4x4 trucks the thing that concerns me is if I had to employ someone they probably wouldn't have a licence to drive the dam thing.

We are lucky that we have a track chipper to use when its really wet and we don't want to carve the ground up, its great, but its a right pain in the bum in town when space is tight and we just want to chip into a vehicle. So we take the road tow, thats ok if you have enough work and money to justify two chippers.

You will never beat a tractor off road but you need to think about the amount of road work and distances involved, even a fastrac gets tedious after a while on the road. but it has the advantage of being very adaptable.

Land Rover list a 130 chassis cab as being £22895 on the road, so you'd be looking at about 26-30k with toolbox and chip body all in.

I hear Pete's comments about handling of 4x4's but if you fit wider tyres it won't cut in as much and 130's have anti roll bars so on road handling is pretty good.

If you want tyres for your cabstar, I'd avoid Grabbers they are a soft compound and wear quickly, Look at BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, they should meet your load ratings, they are on My 130 and there are a couple of Merc Sprinters running them around here. Winches are a good insaurance policy but never rely on one as a way of getting somewhere, you need a lot of winch tackle too and it soon gets frustrating when its cold, wet, and dark and all you want is ya tea!

If you want to see my justifications for buying an LR then look at the post My 130.

Just some of my thoughts Good Luck with ya choice!

be wary of putting land rover grabby tyres on pickups they do not work as well as i thought one wheel grabs and the other just spins and no traction at least on pickup tyres both spin and you go forward if you put chunkys on you get stuck straight away that is why pickup tyres are designed more like slicks

after pspending money on nato tyres i had to go back to pickup tyres

We are lucky that we have a track chipper to use when its really wet and we don't want to carve the ground up, its great, but its a right pain in the bum in town when space is tight and we just want to chip into a vehicle. So we take the road tow, thats ok if you have enough work and money to justify two chippers.

A guy near me puts his tracked chipper on a very low trailer which has no tail board,bit like a bike trailer or very small low loader,so he can us it like a trailed chipper,two chipper in one!

Hi All, I run a 130 Tipper with a half box for chip & 110 High cap. We do have to make more runs with chip but the 4x4 wins every time. That's always there!

Do remember that anything over 3.5T requires an opperators licence and that can be quite tiresome. A tracked chipper would be nice but expensive. why not try a lightweight chipper and a tow bar on the front as well, so you can push it in. The advatages would appear to outweight the disadvantages.

Thats the sort of trailer our track chipper is on but its still a pain, plus your dragging a hell of a lot more weight about, the trailer is wider than a road tow chipper etc, there are solutions but non of them are perfect as I said earlier

The one the guy near me uses is smaller than the chipper so it is just like a tow behind,its a timberwolf,its very neat.