is the silky a lifesaver?????

Rich2484

hahaha. i cant see stihl sending anything as they would have to post it, and do a handover....

but i could really see the benifits of an 880 with 6ft bar on the boat. wink wink. lol.

maintenance on a lifaboat is always good, plus on ours i would personally look after a silky and ensure it is always kept tip top.

maybe silky could change the metal for this purpose. make one in stainless?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is your towing line configured? Is it possible to arrange it so the line passes over a hardwood block before passing through the fairlead so you've got something to chop against? Then a sharp hand axe would do the job.

Trust me....Pocket boy is Tiny.....but MIGHTY!. I Refuced a Maple with one years ago.....A very VERY Good little saw!:)

Good to know as I got handed a brand new one recently in a random draw at a climbing comp :thumbup:

OP - Hope you find the best option! I have huge respect for what you do, I've been saved on 2 occasions when sailing & rowing has gone a bit pear shaped for me :laugh1:. Scary work and it's much appreciated! After my rowing accident (capsize in freezing cold water) I may even have you guys to thank for being alive :001_smile:.

thank you will. always good to hear.

the line on the bak is not able to have anything under it. a block of hardwood would not be able to be stored as there is nowhere.

the tow line is around a metal bollard post and then out through railings on the back. the line is under a huge amount of tension, in fact so much so you can stand on it when towing and it doesnt move. think pulling a 10t oak tree on 16mm rope with a truck and keep pulling until the point of breaking. the line goes very tight.

I had one of these for camping and loved it, might not be great on a rough sea but worth a look. Very strong and great in the wet, the silky is held inside the axe handle with a reasonably strong magnet and the sheath is very durable. Felled a few spindly larch with it!

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Gear/Gator-Combo-Axe-II_22-41420

Hope that works!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

I always carry a Race Rescue Knife (RRK) on safety boats and when sailing yachts, absolutely brilliant! The blunt tip means you can't stab the side of a RIB or yourself with it and the serrated blade is MEGA sharp! Should go through 16mm rope no problem, especially under tension.

Check them out, might be worth looking into:

RRK Race Rescue Knife Std - Ocean Safety Ltd