Chippers

rookery

in short you are not specifically legally obstructed from using a chipper if you don't have a chipper certificate of competence , however , the training & assessment are not onerous

these machines use massive force & can and have been the last thing some unfortunate soles have seen of this world ..

heres a tame example of just how these machines can wreck your day

Authority faces court over worker who lost arm in wood chipper (From The Northern Echo)

no one is suggesting that everyone should be immediately trained as that is far from practical or expedient however where an inexperienced person is interacting with a woodchipper they really should be overlooked by at least one competent colleague

woodchippers work under belt driven & hydraulic power , hydraulic systems working at circa 1800psi ,with fast moving parts, flywheels weigh many 10's of kilos which rotate at our around 2000 rpm with multiple hardened sharp knives attached to them are not to be trifled with In My honest opinion

As mentioned above training is not a mandatory & you could if you feel competent book a standalone and impartial independent assessment for your crew

Iain

Edited by Yorkshireman

i would have liked a bit of maintenance training.

i.e how to put a track on, change blades, check fluids etc.

An operators course should certainly include daily checks, more advanced servicing/repairs isn't necessarily appropriate to training an operator though.

I wouldn't really call putting tracks back on advanced.

Any rail guys will have had to do it at some point.

Also, now I've got my own chipper, maintenance is any everyday concern. If the choppers not greased its me that pays for repairs

:lol:

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App