Further advice re apprentice.

leafcut

We are currently going through the process of taking on a 16 year old apprentice through the governments apprentice scheme. The package appears quite attractive especially over C in H jobs. Anyone have any dealings with matters relating to this. We will have him/her for 30 hrs a week (one day per week at college) at £2.65 per hour, which works out at around £4,100.00 pa wages. During the first year the government pay the company £1,500.00 towards the apprentices wage, works out we would pay the app around £2,600,00 per year and the government foot the bill for all training courses etc- ((arborist)/tree work-timber). At age 19 the hourly rate of pay goes up to around the £4.50 mark. We will hopefully be doing interviews over the next several weeks. Wondering if anyone had any experience with this system, any pit falls or things to be aware of ?, regards...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi have an apprentice under this scheme, ill assume that he is undertaking the trees and timber level 2 apprenticeship. The course covers mainly theory CS units are not usually covered and are extra cost. For us it's been a very good investment but if your serious about bringing someone on a long term basics then £8k should be put aside in first year to cover kit, CS, and other courses. If you want to chat about it ill pm number. We plan to take on a second apprentice next year.

Sam

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Im interested in this thread. It would be good if someone who is in the know could inform us comprehensively on this or point us to a weblink etc.

Im very green on this sort of thing and live in the real world of getting it done. Not theorizing. I appreciate that its a good way to learn in a recognized way and get real experience.

However I find the academic system is run like an industry were the students are a bit like a crop, what im saying is, if course demand isnt suffcient in some institutions they say "Do this one instead its similar anyway. "

I did a course in horticulture and we had a load of groundsmen and greenkeepers on it that were not interested at all and wasted a day a week.

I want to know what apprenticeship course variations are. Forestry, Garden/landscape. Urban tree management etc. In my view its worth going to a better suited venue even if its a bit further away than a local one, that doesnt do it as well.

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my Agric mechanic. His apprentice though a good lad did not know what distilled water was about when asked to get it after nearly 2 years apprenticeship.

If I do something like this I would like to set someone up for life in a career if they want it. not take them on for cheap labour.

Im interested in this thread. It would be good if someone who is in the know could inform us comprehensively on this or point us to a weblink etc.

Im very green on this sort of thing and live in the real world of getting it done. Not theorizing. I appreciate that its a good way to learn in a recognized way and get real experience.

However I find the academic system is run like an industry were the students are a bit like a crop, what im saying is, if course demand isnt suffcient in some institutions they say "Do this one instead its similar anyway. "

I did a course in horticulture and we had a load of groundsmen and greenkeepers on it that were not interested at all and wasted a day a week.

I want to know what apprenticeship course variations are. Forestry, Garden/landscape. Urban tree management etc. In my view its worth going to a better suited venue even if its a bit further away than a local one, that doesnt do it as well.

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my Agric mechanic. His apprentice though a good lad did not know what distilled water was about when asked to get it after nearly 2 years apprenticeship.

If I do something like this I would like to set someone up for life in a career if they want it. not take them on for cheap labour.

I had an apprentice on the same scheme. The success for you and the apprentice depends on what type of person they are and how you mentor/nurture them.

When he/she first starts with you it will cost you a bit of time and money but that should soon turn around and become productive for both of you. If that doesn't happen, just get rid of them on safety grounds.

Mine worked out very well. He was very hard working, keen, diligent and the first year was was mutually beneficial to both of us.

Then he grew an ego, turned into gods gift, I was supposed to feel so lucky to have him on my team and he made demands! :laugh1:

I allowed him to feel victimised and he walked off almost immediately. I hear he now has no work, two years later. Idiot! :lol:

Anyway, with a willing candidate and some good coaching skills from you I think it's a very good scheme.

I had an apprentice on the same scheme. The success for you and the apprentice depends on what type of person they are and how you mentor/nurture them.

When he/she first starts with you it will cost you a bit of time and money but that should soon turn around and become productive for both of you. If that doesn't happen, just get rid of them on safety grounds.

Mine worked out very well. He was very hard working, keen, diligent and the first year was was mutually beneficial to both of us.

Then he grew an ego, turned into gods gift, I was supposed to feel so lucky to have him on my team and he made demands! :laugh1:

I allowed him to feel victimised and he walked off almost immediately. I hear he now has no work, two years later. Idiot! :lol:

(funnily enough he has not called me and I'm desperate for someone part time:001_rolleyes:)

Anyway, with a willing candidate and some good coaching skills from you I think it's a very good scheme.

Am in further discussions this week with staff from the scheme. This is where we will find out the "nitty gritty" of what qualifications and courses the apprentice will get. Of course if the CS courses are not paid for under the scheme we would have to think again as the expense cannot be justified under the current business/finances. The other troublesome point is wether or not we can find enough work to fill 30 hours per week. At times we dont have enough work as is never mind an extra pair of hands. Sharpening saws and cleaning kit and vehicles can only be done so much. I would naturally want the best for the student but being a realist at the moment am having serious doubts and dont think we could give the candidate 100% as there is just not enough work at the moment. I will update the thread with our findings/decisions in due course...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.