l200 truck

finch

I have a 96 single cab with 180k on the clock and it's in for a head gasket. I've fiddled with the pump and turbo and have a homebrew propane injection and it's a beast. was going to get rid of the old girl instead of doing the head but i aquired a well sorted defender 90 (which is forsale on arbtrader) and after a week or two i just want my l200 back!!!!! I will be investing in a propper suspension, wheel and tyre setup though. Some hate them some love them, mine grafts and that'll do for me :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a 56 plate club cab as a council truck. We get about 35 mpg with gear in the back although you have to give it some to get it upto speed and keep it there. We average about 20-25 when towing a laden trailer. Its just had its 60,000 mile service and had just cracked the 67,000 mile barrier.

We've got an 05 plate club cab (ex Environment Agency Wales). Averages 32mpg if we go easy on the turbo. Absolutely love it, just gone over 100k and still purrs like a kitten. As said before it's good to keep the services up to date.

Running on all terrains and mud terrain combo and goes anywhere in snow and mud and carries loads easily, wish we'd bought one years ago. :biggrin:

I've run Mitsis for a while, had a SWB shogun and currently running a LWB shogun warrior (both 3l V6 auto petrol) both were mechanically sound, both suffered the same annoying problems with warming lights.

Intermittent ABS light coming on willy nilly (MOT failure if it's on)

Intermittent 4x4 warning light telling me it's not disengaged when it has

Intermittent Gearbox oil temp light coming on willy nilly, sometimes on startup when it's clear the gearbox oil is not overheating, other times after 2 hours driving just to unnerve you.

Plug in a diagnostic and it tells you there are sensor failures, doesn't tell you which one, spend hours taking the wheels off and jetwashing the sensors (standard advice) and they still light up willy nilly, I suppose the next option is taking it to mitsibushi to sort out, you can see the ££ signs in their eyes..... caaaachinnnnng

going back to LR when this one has its warning lights fixed and I've sold it :thumbdown:

Used L200 's for many years. Older models were the best, much more practical, hard floors and better turning circle, proper work vehicles, now they have poncy carpets, which are really impractical when your boots are covered in thick mud...

We have a 4 work and a 4 life LWB, about 3-5 years old, got rid of a warrior as it was too thirsty and like driving a tank! nothing major ever goes wrong, on them, I think they are reliable and nice to drive/work with. Would love a tipping one for logs!