Palax KS35 Ergo - RPM???

rovers90

We usually run the tractor at about 1300rpm when running my Palax KS35 Ergo but the ram travels rather slow. Pumped it up to 1700rpm when cutting some larger pieces last week and seemed to operate faster but obviously tractor a lot noisier (and it's not my tractor!!).

Who else runs a Palax KS35 and what rpm do you usually run your tractor at?

Erm,

The PTO housing or somewhere near on the machine should quote the required PTO rpm's.

Almost certainly 540, I dont think I have seen one rated higher, and some recommend odd PTO rpm's (to UK users leastwise) of 350.

Probably a tractor with selectable speed PTO, then run the tractor on the higher speed PTO at lower engine revs.

I have found that if a PTO powered implement sounds "right" it probably is.

I.E. for the rotary mower I tune it by ear, listing for the correct "hum" off the rotors.

Regardless of stated requirments. good luck

Marcus

EDIT

More pertinently, most tractors only reach correct PTO speeds at surprisingly high engine revs, my old DB requires 2100 rpm, I doubt any are much less than 1800, well, leastwise on the older stuff we are likely to be using to drive a firewood processor.

Edited by difflock

If no sticker with rpm, watch a video of one working and count the paddles going up the elevator say every 20 seconds. When you get that speed remember tractor revs for future reference. Palax will run at quite low speed effectively. If its a bigger tractor above 60hp, I would run it at the higher pto gear 750 or 1000rpm but at actual 540rpm speed. Saves fuel and cuts down on noise. I have seen a 22hp compact power one of these machines. Ok in softwood but struggles with hardwood.

Evening, I have no real way of knowing wot speed my mog runs at but hsve used the method goaty has mentioned. You soon get a feel for the right speed as if speed to slow I find the chain snatches at slow speed plus the splitter travels slow. Just my input.

Thanks for the replies lads. I guess it's different for different processors and different tractors. We use a Ford 4610 and at 1300 revs it only uses a gallon of diesel a day. It does some times make the saw stop in tougher or thick wood and the ram seems slow. I suppose at those times we could knock the revs up and then bring back down when on smaller stuff.

According to the Palax brochure the KS35 should be run at 400rpm on the pto shaft. To work out the engine revs on the tractor divide the pto rated rpm by 540 and multiply by 400. e.g. if your tractor gives 540 at 2000 rpm divide 2000 by 540 and multiply by 400 which will give an engine rpm of 1481. I would run at the recommended speed. Running faster will overheat the hydraulic oil which will result in hydraulic pump wear, hardened 'O' rings and seals in the spool valves and hardened seals in the hydraulic cylinders, all for a very marginal short term gain in output.