log splitting "cone"

pete23

afternoon all, been reading and lurking for some time, did,nt ask for out in me first post lol, (but now I am)

I was going to make a hydraulic log splitter, but ive got all the bits in me spare part bins to make a screw type splitter, either petrol ingine or electric motor.

the one thing im after is the screw threaded cone, does anyone know where I can purchase one cheaper than 80

nicker?? or does anyone have a old one kicking about they want to part with??

don't really want to throw 80 nicker away in case my idea don't work.

cheers, pete.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

afternoon all, been reading and lurking for some time, did,nt ask for out in me first post lol, (but now I am)

I was going to make a hydraulic log splitter, but ive got all the bits in me spare part bins to make a screw type splitter, either petrol ingine or electric motor.

the one thing im after is the screw threaded cone, does anyone know where I can purchase one cheaper than 80

nicker?? or does anyone have a old one kicking about they want to part with??

don't really want to throw 80 nicker away in case my idea don't work.

cheers, pete.

Your idea will work providing you don't stint on the grunt to turn it.You need at least 25hp minimum 30 + preferably . Its the torque you need not rpms and to get big torque you need big cubes ( relatively ) Anything less and it will stall on the first snotty log and you will wast loadsa time having to cut it off the cone . Believe me !

Pete! - don't bother :thumbdown:

Unless you're going to do it properly trying to run one from a petrol engine - and worse an electric motor - is not worth the effort.

You need upwards of 15hp to stand any chance of splitting wood suitable for a fire or woodburner - and it needs to rotate in a controlled manner up to approx 450rpm.

And your £80 cone? - most of the eastern european ones we've seen aren't worth a light long term.

Save your time and money let alone your limbs if you cobble something together.

Pete! - don't bother :thumbdown:

Unless you're going to do it properly trying to run one from a petrol engine - and worse an electric motor - is not worth the effort.

You need upwards of 15hp to stand any chance of splitting wood suitable for a fire or woodburner - and it needs to rotate in a controlled manner up to approx 450rpm.

And your £80 cone? - most of the eastern european ones we've seen aren't worth a light long term.

Save your time and money let alone your limbs if you cobble something together.

15hp is not enough . Godda be twice that ( re my answer second post )

cheers for the replys, I have a various ingines about and a few reduction boxes, im far from stupid, so would not make "cobble" something together that I would injure myself with.

I enjoy making my own kit as I know it will do what I want it to do, and it would be a sight better than I could buy.

just wanted to know about splitting cones??

thanks.

HI STUBBY your right mate when first started off i had a pto cone splitter i had it on my mf135 it was a good old splitter just keep your eye on things :blushing:thanks jon :thumbup:

yep on the back of a tractor there ok..

i filled a 40ft container with splits in 2 days alone and only got my knuckles rapped a couple of times.:blushing:..altho them cones on a tractor willl snap your hand off there cheap to set up.

15hp is not enough . Godda be twice that ( re my answer second post )

HI STUBBY your right mate when first started off i had a pto cone splitter i had it on my mf135 it was a good old splitter just keep your eye on things :blushing:thanks jon :thumbup:

We've sold a number of Hycracks to people with Iseki and John Deere compacts and have had good feedback - and perhaps most people's grey fergies when knackered pump out much less than 20hp at the pto.

However I agree with you guys that 30+ is ideal. We run ours either on a 50hp Kubota or our 90hp MF4345.

The real reason for my post was in response to my shiver when I think of people 'cobbling' together machines that could bite them - and badly

Edit: Pete23 - just seen your later post. No offence meant re cobbling - it's just that we've seen some shocking stuff brought into us for 'spares' when the eastern european cones and bearings are knackered. Do it properly, with the right hp and I agree with Stubby that a cone splitter is a good tool

Edited by LoadhandlerUK