A-Z of tree terms

philipwilson

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must be Vulcan brothers Mark :biggrin:

How about 'pseudosclerotial' Phillip?

David, following your suggestion here is my draft mention of 'pseudosclerotic layer' in the A-Z

demarcation line (zone line)

In the cross-section of a decaying woody stem, a thin and relatively dark line separating different colonies of decay fungi, or separating infected wood from non-infected wood. The hyphae balloon out into the affected wood cells like tyloses.

Demarcation lines are made actively by white rot fungi to protect their substrate from invasion by other fungi, and to control wood moisture content (since white-rotted wood is relatively water-absorbent). The lines may also be survival structures from which the fungus can regenerate after a period of adverse conditions (Schwarze et al., 2000).

The demarcation line is also known as a pseudosclerotic layer, meaning ‘falsely hard’. In fact it has a rubbery texture (while some fungi have genuinely hard resting structures called sclerotia).

I hope you're happy with that ...

Flower parts are missing.

Carpel and Stamen

I had to find something :001_smile:

You're right Matt, but even 'flower' isn't included! I've already rectified this (but not posted the revision on the treeterms website yet), while remaining conservative about including botanical nomenclature generally (there are hundreds of such terms). My guiding principle is whether a certain term might ever be used in practice in arb.

great piece of work! I couldn't find the following in the 'A' section, don't know if you want to include these?:

apoplasm

acuminate

apex

antigibberelin

ascender

actinomycetes

abscisic acid

Quite a list there, Perkins, and those are just the 'A's!

apoplast and acuminate: Have a look at my response to Matt (for carpel, stamen). You can persuade me to include them if you can give me some sort of practical significance.

apex: There are a couple of entries under 'apical' that should cover it.

anti-gibb: Mentioned under 'growth retardant' I think.

ascender: I steer clear of climbing equipment because it's outside my area of competence. Also there's an ISA glossary that includes quite a few such terms.

Actinomycetes and abscisic acid: Ditto apoplast etc.

Having said all that, I'm open to influence...

Edited by philipwilson
to make clearer

I've just ordered a copy :thumbup1:

One of my favourite words from back in college

Ramification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramification_(botany)

I don't know if it's any use but thought I would join the party. :thumbup:

Look forward to reading your hard work.

p.s. Nice one Rob I like fasciation!

Nice word but just means 'branching'. I'll find an opportunity to make that clear somewhere, and will probably add the entry 'ramify: See branch' or something like that... Thanks.

Hi Philip,

What about fasciation? :biggrin:

Rob, what do you think of this:

fasciation

A growth abnormality in which an apical meristem becomes elongated crosswise to the apex of a shoot, flower or root to give a row of growing points instead of just one. A fasciated shoot consists of several shoots fused side by side which appear ribbon-like and are often curved or contorted. Affected flowers may be misshapen or abnormally numerous.

The occurrence of fasciation is unpredictable and usually infrequent, while some taxa are propagated to perpetuate the abnormality, creating cultivars of curious appearance (with cultivar names like ‘monstrosa’).

No causes have been conclusively identified (Strouts & Winter, 1994), although several have been suggested: genetic abnormality (see sport), damage (due to frost, animals, chemicals or injury), or infection by a virus or bacterium.

The term ‘fasciation’ comes from ‘fasicle’, meaning ‘a bundle or bunch’. The needles of pines occur in fascicles of from two to five depending on the species.

David, following your suggestion here is my draft mention of 'pseudosclerotic layer' in the A-Z

demarcation line (zone line)

In the cross-section of a decaying woody stem, a thin and relatively dark line separating different colonies of decay fungi, or separating infected wood from non-infected wood. The hyphae balloon out into the affected wood cells like tyloses.

Demarcation lines are made actively by white rot fungi to protect their substrate from invasion by other fungi, and to control wood moisture content (since white-rotted wood is relatively water-absorbent). The lines may also be survival structures from which the fungus can regenerate after a period of adverse conditions (Schwarze et al., 2000).

The demarcation line is also known as a pseudosclerotic layer, meaning ‘falsely hard’. In fact it has a rubbery texture (while some fungi have genuinely hard resting structures called sclerotia).

I hope you're happy with that ...

Hello Phillip,

seems that you have pretty much all the associated terms and description.

Is the above draft mostly from David Lonsdale's work or from a few references?

I'm not entirely sure that the demarcation lines between different colonies of fungi is wholly restricted to the white rot decayers.