Newbie's Kitbag?

Dan White

Your budget sounds all right to me. I wouldn't worry about a saw or any fancy climbing gear just now.

I'd be getting all basic ppe (go straight for a climbing helmet, don't bother with chainsaw gloves)and get a silky saw too. Then get a harness, climbing line and flipline. This will give you everything you need to get going and practice climbing etc

Realistically you're a fair way off freelancing if you don't yet have any experience or basic tickets so don't need any of the more expensive gear yet. It will accumulate over time(or so I have found). If you're working for someone I would expect them to provide a ground saw and climbing saw plus any rigging gear you would need.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a search as theres loads of debated on which one to get also if ur thinking of going up in the trees then you would need one with a chin strap which would be £70 or more as standard then at least another £30 for gloves. But to be honest u wont use ur gloves after the assessments bud.

£250 is about right for a harness then at least another £120 for a rope.

And a basic ground saw you would be looking around £700

Then if you want to free lance uve got slings lowering gear etcetc.

Also dont forget all ur climbing like harness ropes etc will need to be loller inspected every 6months plus insurance

Sadly its not quire as simple as that, the old school en397 lid often has a nicker elastic chin strap but it entirely lacking lateral protection and as such is unsuitable for use with rope access.

Its the lateral protection (as well as suitable means of keeping it on yer napper) that makes it suitable for climbing

So the ones u can buy at jonies skyland etc with are the correct ones then aren't they!!

This one isn't

Stein Plasma Work AQ ground helmet assembly, MSA Sordin ears/mesh visor | F R Jones and Son

This one is

Stein Super Plasma PL climbing helmet assembly, MSA Sordin ears / mesh visor | F R Jones and Son

Its about the numbers not the chinstrap:thumbup1:

Treequip, who says you can't use screw gates in commercial arb? Not bein nit picking just curious as they are standard issue for rope access workers, who probably recoil in terror at our Ali 3 ways

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Industry best practice backed by the strong arm of the HSE

Each karabiner used to connect the harness to a lifeline needs to have a springloaded self-locking gate that requires at least three distinct movements to open it.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag401.pdf

The recommendation specifically mentions the harness attachment but as an industry we seem to have applied this across the board

i got some FREE!!!! old gear if you want it. all well used but passable (just). SIP freedom type c trousers large (requires a little needle work). old stein plasma helmet (needs muffs + visor). size 10 meindl woodwalkers (in pretty good nick). PM me if you want em (that goes for anyone) they are cluttering my life and messin with my feng shui