Stihl 026 advice

Stephen Blair

Think I will be putting my prices up, usually charge well short of £250 to sort out a seized saw!:blushing::lol:

Just got mine back spud and I think the bill was around $340 so halve it to get the figure in pounds. One of the first saws I used was an 026. I don't know what vintage this is but if it proves more reliable than the 261 and the 395xp then it's money well spent. This is our local Stihl guy too and going on the many negative comments I've seen lately re said Stihl dealers, I think our guy looks after us pretty well. I'd be keen to send my saws over to you to get sorted but I think the shipping might get expensive 😄

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got mine back spud and I think the bill was around $340 so halve it to get the figure in pounds. One of the first saws I used was an 026. I don't know what vintage this is but if it proves more reliable than the 261 and the 395xp then it's money well spent. This is our local Stihl guy too and going on the many negative comments I've seen lately re said Stihl dealers, I think our guy looks after us pretty well. I'd be keen to send my saws over to you to get sorted but I think the shipping might get expensive 😄

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That sounds about right, pretty good for getting a scrap saw up and running again:thumbup:

• 2 months later...
Both of my hardly used 026's have just stopped working, they sound dry and when you pull the chord it doesn't feel right.

Same 2 stroke mix I use for everything else.

I haven't done any investigations yet.

Any thoughts ?

I guess one packed up, so you moved to the other which then packed up too?

The first thought, by the 'sound dry' description is that the piston is scraping up and down the bore. If so the machines have seized (or partly seized)

It is very easy to take the exhaust off and have a look at the piston through the exhaust port.

How coud this have happened (if it has)? A seize will normally be due to either too little oil in the fuel mix, or too much air in the air/fuel ratio.

Have the saws recently been tuned? If so I fear they may have both been tuned a little too lean.

I agree with Barry - if the saws both failed on the same mix of fuel then it is highly unlikely that both simultaneously developed an air leak or similar.

I would be looking to the fuel - and not necessarily because you mixed it wrongly. I have had this in the past with an 064 and an 066, both dying on the same fuel mix which was definitely down to the petrol. 4-stroke car engines are way more tolerant of poor fuel blending than high performance 2-strokes.

Having established that there were no air-leaks or similar, new pot and piston fixed it, but in my case spending over £500 on one incedent was actually the primary reason at the time for switching to Aspen.

Alec

Thanks, I started this thread originally to find out the hi and low settings, I never got a correct answer as 1 of the settings would only go a 3/4 turn. When the old saws used to be 1 turn each.

So as you guys guessed, I stuck 1 on the shelf and grabbed the other, now it's done the same thing. My fuel mix is always the exact same, and 6 other machines run off the same combi.

My fuel mix is always the exact same, and 6 other machines run off the same combi.

It's not necessarily the mix - it can be a duff batch of fuel. However, if you've run your other kit on the same batch of mix and it's been fine it suggests the settings.

My 026 refused completely to run on normal settings. Spud had to set it up in the end to something completely wrong, but which works.

If the saws have now seized and you can't be bothered to fix them, there's enough residual value there to be worth not just chucking in the skip.

Alec

Hi, usual me threw away the handbooks when the saws arrived last hear:001_rolleyes:

1, what's the hi and low settings? There are no numbers beside the screw holes:confused1:

2. The oiler, the clutch cover has the little notch out it, but there isn't a little spindle thing to turn, and the saw is oiling ok:confused1:

Is this a new design but use up a huge box of older covers!!!

Am I right in thinking they did this years ago and then went back to the turns thing.

Cheers:001_smile:

image.jpg.ece642fb0c58508e051dd6daf182eddf.jpg 15 years old and in mint condition :thumbup: