Starting climbing

jmac80

jmac, if your down in Glasgow anytime give me a call and you can meet me at one of our jobs and I'll show you some basic essential climbing skills you can learn with the minimum of equipment.

I learned to climb with an old piece of 1/2 inch 3 strand nylon rope that I found in my dad's garage (was used for towing cars), no harness or carabiners either.

(posting this vid before Stevie Blair sees my last sentence and posts the vid first :biggrin:) -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo]Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by scotspine1

Weaver harness two prussik loops and a lot of hip thrusting.. The weaver harness is a good thick one and gives you peace of mind when starting up..don't go down the hitch climbing method un till you get used to being in the tree... Distols and vt and mt are for the weathered climber and if not dressed correct will only end up with you laying on your back with 30m of rope on top of you.. Good luck and play safe

jmac, if your down in Glasgow anytime give me a call and you can meet me at one of our jobs and I'll show you some basic essential climbing skills you can learn with the minimum of equipment.

I learned to climb with an old piece of 1/2 inch 3 strand nylon rope that I found in my dad's garage (was used for towing cars), no harness or carabiners either.

(posting this vid before Stevie Blair sees my last sentence and posts the vid first :biggrin:) -

A really rough 2m ish length of hemp round the waist, across the arse, through the legs and tied somehow was my harness. My two 25m lengths of plastic hawser from the local ag supplier were my favourite toys by far. I had a zip line and a rope bridge strung up over the orchard until some tedious parent of a mate nicked it in case his son had any fun. Got it back and built it bigger.

Many happy hours!

:lol: beer fags and kebabs

Thanks for the kit list mate, very much appreciated!

I don't mind spending money to get a real nice harness :)

Well the Tree Motion or the Tree Austria are widely regarded as being very good, versatile and comfy saddles. I find that Komet Butterfly (about £200) does me well. Not great, but for work its enough.

As suggested by Arbtech Trees, the course is the best place to start! Get your techniques, kit, best practice weighed off under direction/supervision/advice and mentoring of a good instructor in a training environment, then build experience! That way you should start right rather than possibly picking up bad habits prior to training/assessment.

What happened to my ground labourer was the funniest thing. he was the mutts nuts he said claiming he can use lock jacks and spider jacks.. So I let him use my spider jack...he was doing ok ascending until he pulled back the release without applying the thumb brake.... Well I nearly wet me self when he came crashing down and the first words out of my second climber was.! your the mutts nuts climber I've never seen a **** full out of a tree. well that set me off i spent my lunch brake trying not to look at him because every time i did i would burst out laughing. As they say you can't fix stupid...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.