Love Of Trees - Optional Or Not?

Landscape Hub

It's great to see the responses so far. I guess the original question might have been better related to trees that deserve admiration. There's a lot to be admired about an ancient Oak or large Beech tree for instance, where it's probably fair to say some trees are just fit for firewood or have little value.

It's probably similar to horticulture in that some plants are spectacular but you're hardly likely to get emotional about a row of cabbage, (some do - it takes all sorts !).

Take the Giant Rewdwoods for instance, (are there many in the UK outside Arboretums)? It would be hard not to be impressed by the sheer size and longevity of these trees. Similarly it's impressive, (at least), when you consider what human history has passed since reputably Britain's oldest tree began life, (at 2000+ years ago!).

This is not meant to be a thread aimed at any sector of our community, just a discussion about whether at the root of it all, (nice pun?), we all have an admiration for the trees we work on or see around us.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trees are amazing biolgically, historically and culturally. When i started out i didn't want to fell some 300 year Oak just because it drops leaves in someones garden. Now i think if i don't do it someone else will so might as well put in a price.

I guess i like trees the same amount as i did before i think i like the work less as the years go buy.

Skyhuck that a lorry of Oak saw logs. That's a rare thing that is, well the cheque associated with the sale is.

Trees are amazing biolgically, historically and culturally. When i started out i didn't want to fell some 300 year Oak just because it drops leaves in someones garden. Now i think if i don't do it someone else will so might as well put in a price.

I guess i like trees the same amount as i did before i think i like the work less as the years go buy.

Skyhuck that a lorry of Oak saw logs. That's a rare thing that is, well the cheque associated with the sale is.

Yes, 3 loads, 60tonne of Oak and 15tonne of Lime

image.jpg.4b64a274254c7abefb4cdfaefe7d53af.jpg

Removal is part of this trade and some times has to be done..I never forget the big one I've had to remove the big jobs stick in your mind and I don't feel sorry i just think ! Well it had to happen....but the punning jobs gives me a sense of satisfaction nosing iam an artist and a bloody good one at that and it's still there for me ore the next brother in arms to do......and when I drive past with my men we all ways say? Wee did that......and never for get each job is different wether you did it in record time ore if you had a messy day...you love them all job-lot...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I think my passion for wood brought me into what I do now I see things in wood that can be created that most people dont see until its done and my need for firewood also got me more involved with it all ,for years I had sourced driftwood off the river before I ever picked up a chainsaw .

The more I do the more I learn and the more I respect the tree's, I notice things now I would never of payed any attention to five years ago I appreciate the more mature trees we have standing and the habitat they provide for everything I love wildlife and I guess trees and wildlife are just what I enjoy seeing working and being around.

But as I said up there it was my love of firewood that started it all and my interest in trees have grown so much since then and I am sure will continue to do so .