Rogue Traders - Monday 16 March - Rogue Tree Surgeons

Honey Bros

Tonight at 9pm BBC1

Matt Allwright witnesses hair-raising moments with a chainsaw as rogue tree surgeons get to work in Wales. Can he put a halt to their boyish abandon and reckless disregard for health and safety?

Looking forward to the banter here afterwards!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that too :-) I am knid of hopeing there is someone I recognise locally on there as there are a few dodgy cowboys round here.

Also hopeing that they don't tarnish us all with that brush! Possibly they will say something stupid like "You can only really trust members of the AA"

Hopefully they will just suggest that you look at the persons insurance as that seems to be the only real leveller out there at the moment. Without tickets you can't get insurance so that at least means that the person has basic training and knowledge.

Hoooo Hummm

Without tickets you can't get insurance

This is a myth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had insurance for 14 years and have NEVER been asked for tickets.

And yes, before all the "you can't claim without tickets" crap starts, I have had 2 claims and again NEVER asked for tickets. :001_smile:

Also hopeing that they don't tarnish us all with that brush! Possibly they will say something stupid like "You can only really trust members of the AA"

Hopefully they will just suggest that you look at the persons insurance as that seems to be the only real leveller out there at the moment.

actually they have some pretty good info on their website for the public..

Questions to ask before receiving a quotation

Find your local tree officer and ask if they have a preferred list of professional tree surgeons. If so book one of these. If not these are the questions the Arboricultural Association say you should ask an arborist when receiving a quote:

* Are you insured? If yes, please show evidence of insurance - Employers liability & Public Liability (recommended minimum £5 million).

* Do you work to a British Standard? If yes, which one? Should be BS3998, which covers areas such as safety and tree maintenance.

* What qualifications do you and your staff hold? It's compulsory to have an NPTC certificate for chainsaw use.

* Will you provide a written quotation? If no reject this contractor.

* Are you a member of a professional organisation? Membership does not guarantee work Standards but does show a degree of commitment.

* Can you provide me with the phone number of a referee who can show me some of your work? If yes, follow up the lead.

Check quotations include the following points

Once you have received your quotations check they include the following before deciding which one to accept.

* A reference to BS 3998 (British Standards).

* Clear and full details of the work to be undertaken.

* What will happen to the debris?

* Whether VAT is included.

* Who will responsible for obtaining permission, if the trees are protected?

* What step will be taken to protect you and your property?

Tree Preservation Orders

A Tree Preservation Order (TPO) can be added to a tree by your local planning authority. A TPO is applied to protect it from anyone cutting it down, uprooting, topping, lopping, wilful damage and wilful destruction. Tree owners should check with the local planning office before carrying out any maintenance work as huge fines can be imposed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consumer_advice/roguetraders_treesurgeons_pic.shtml