Lowering device.

High Scale

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be the grcs for me, ok it costs but the build quality is great, engerned not just beefed up. The GRCS is all so easyer to use day to day. Ok the hobbs is cheaper but to lift it a two man job, to slack tend the device. I reconed the GRCS to a friend and he said the other day it was the best £1500 he spent that year for sure, payed for it self in no time, and the rigging kit is wearing better and there for lasting longer.

i've only just peeped at this thread. and its filled me with excitement.

i have never had the pleasure of using a grcs. i've been keen to try and home make one. now that i've seen one my synapses are firing. one question, i saw that the GRCS has a changeable drum. does that mean it is ill advised to lower stuff off the winch all the time. and has anyone considered having one large central back tongue for slotting into the tree rather than one on either end.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to raise a glass to telhol: 'the biggest s**t stirer on the forum, the man who can squeeze 4 extra pages out of a thread, by putting peoples backs up, don't worry buddy i think your funny':cheers:

i've only just peeped at this thread. and its filled me with excitement.

i have never had the pleasure of using a grcs. i've been keen to try and home make one. now that i've seen one my synapses are firing. one question, i saw that the GRCS has a changeable drum. does that mean it is ill advised to lower stuff off the winch all the time. and has anyone considered having one large central back tongue for slotting into the tree rather than one on either end.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to raise a glass to telhol: 'the biggest s**t stirer on the forum, the man who can squeeze 4 extra pages out of a thread, by putting peoples backs up, don't worry buddy i think your funny':cheers:

its not adviseable to dump wood on the winch with slack in the rope so a bollard[like a portawrap but fixed]slides in instead.theres a good video frans made

on the subject

We have been using the GRCS for 2-3 years now and I would say it is excellent value for what it can do.

We use the fixed bollard part far more than the winch though.

It is surprisingly rare how often you need timber to be lifted in a tree. More often than not you want it to go down towards the ground.

For low branches hovering over obstacles, that cannot be swung over and away, the winch is great. But most times, the smooth and solid control of the bollard is best.The porta-wrap devices work fine, but on a decent sized removal the ease and efficiency of a large diameter drum, fixed to the tree and not `floating`, is noticeable.

True one-person operation, with minimal shock-loading, allows the use of a smaller diameter lowering rope. If cost is putting you off, try to buy the grcs without the winch; you could add it later.

We have been using the GRCS for 2-3 years now and I would say it is excellent value for what it can do.

We use the fixed bollard part far more than the winch though.

It is surprisingly rare how often you need timber to be lifted in a tree. More often than not you want it to go down towards the ground.

For low branches hovering over obstacles, that cannot be swung over and away, the winch is great. But most times, the smooth and solid control of the bollard is best.The porta-wrap devices work fine, but on a decent sized removal the ease and efficiency of a large diameter drum, fixed to the tree and not `floating`, is noticeable.

True one-person operation, with minimal shock-loading, allows the use of a smaller diameter lowering rope. If cost is putting you off, try to buy the grcs without the winch; you could add it later.

we always use the winch rather than the bollard removes the slack so much better and always trying to keep the slack out of the system so as to reduce the forces exerted when first dropping loads onto the rope the lads i work with took some persuading to get one but it has proven itself time and time again