Holly Timber

Peter

Seems a shame though I'm in no position to criticise, having put much of a 16"dbh tree on the firewood pile recently as I couldn't home it either.

Isn't holly used by furniture makers? Unless they import big stuff from the States I'd have thought yours was big enough to be of interest.

Seems a shame though I'm in no position to criticise, having put much of a 16"dbh tree on the firewood pile recently as I couldn't home it either.

Isn't holly used by furniture makers? Unless they import big stuff from the States I'd have thought yours was big enough to be of interest.

Us furniture makers do use it as it can be very white in colour. As I understand it thou it has to be cut and dried quickly to keep it white otherwise it goes a bit grey with a green tinge.

Edited by Woodworks

I doubt it's that simple Beau, unfortunately! Holly cracks easily and gains its green hue almost as it comes off the tree.

I've got some hefty lumps if you want to play sometime; I don't mind waking up the sheep on your drive!

Jon

Shifting it isnt an issue, it will look lovely on my logburner this winter! Given the lack of interest thats probably where it will end up.

I'm currently heating my pool with Yew, 2ft stuff split down, burns lovely.

Sure we hear how much this fancy timber is worth and how its better sold than burnt, but selling its such a hassle, just burn it!!!

Look at the price of gas, burning it gives you a pretty good return really :biggrin: