Weight of logs and vehicle.

Woodworks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree with that I'm afraid alycidon, Peter posted a letter from vosa at somepoint on here stating that they would use the weighbridge weight of the vehicle hence no need to down plate trailers etc

Pleased to hear it. But people would be wise to call Vosa and talk it throught with them, they are pretty helpfull.

A

Dont underestimate them, they do have a lot of power and have heard it all before, probably at least once a day. You would maybe have to prove that you were delivering to a friend and took no payment in a court. If there was an intention to charge/pay for your supply then its a tacho. Fine is about £400 for a first offence. I played wide eyed and innocent and luckily got away with it but had a tacho fitted later that week.

A

police reckon because it was them that pulled me not vosa on the overloading I can expect £80 fine but had it been vosa they could do up to £5,000 I'm just hoping when it gets to court they decide first offence warning letter I'll hold off on fitting a tacho till I see whether I can find the money to get op license and go 5 ton replacement next year.

Pleased to hear it. But people would be wise to call Vosa and talk it throught with them, they are pretty helpfull.

A

Probably wont help as they dont like putting things down on paper and a verbal conversation is next to useless. When you ring them they are guarded as to what they say and half the time do not understand all the bull themselves.

hi logsnstuff.

why are your logs so heavy.

previous post you said, could only carry 2 bulk bags 0.7 m3

?

I had 4 bulk bags which were seasoned but rain wet (260kg each by their weigh bridge) + saws 2 ppl and the usual jump leads etc under the seats which meant i was 700kg overloaded or 19.1% which apparently is automatic to court. with the long wheelbase van its got a low capacity I'm considering whether i can take the doors off the back to reduce weight and strip all the lining out of it maybe dump the bench seat and go down to just a driver

Edited by Logsnstuff

Disagree with that I'm afraid alycidon, Peter posted a letter from vosa at somepoint on here stating that they would use the weighbridge weight of the vehicle hence no need to down plate trailers etc

This makes more sense as you could have less weight on a more capable trailer with better safety margin which could improve road safety.

Isn't that relating to the legal towing weight? ie just because a trailer is plated at 3.5 tonnes gross it isn't illegal to tow it with a vehicle with a maximum towing weight of 2.8 tonnes as long as the loaded trailer doesn't actually weigh more than 2.8 tonnes. I was under the impression that in terms of tachographs it is down to plated weights, not actual weights. As soon as you stick a trailer on the back of a vehicle plated at 3.5 tonnes and raise the gross train weight above 3.5 tonnes (even if both vehicle and trailer are empty) I'm sure you need a tacho unless you are exempted. If I'm wrong I would like to see the link to the exemption letter for my own info.

Alycidon has a point.

The actual wording is "The EU rules (Regulation (EC) 561/2006) apply to drivers of most vehicles used for the carriage of goods - defined as goods or burden of any description - (including dual purpose vehicles) where the maximum permissible weight of the vehicle, including any trailer or semi-trailer, exceeds 3.5 tonnes "

So it says permissible not actual!

Isn't that relating to the legal towing weight? ie just because a trailer is plated at 3.5 tonnes gross it isn't illegal to tow it with a vehicle with a maximum towing weight of 2.8 tonnes as long as the loaded trailer doesn't actually weigh more than 2.8 tonnes. I was under the impression that in terms of tachographs it is down to plated weights, not actual weights. As soon as you stick a trailer on the back of a vehicle plated at 3.5 tonnes and raise the gross train weight above 3.5 tonnes (even if both vehicle and trailer are empty) I'm sure you need a tacho unless you are exempted. If I'm wrong I would like to see the link to the exemption letter for my own info.

Surely then the fact you have a towbar on it means it's capable of towing heavier weights so it would apply then. The letters in this thread http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/arb-trucks/39906-good-news-vosa.html

The last paragraph states, "It's the actual weight of the vehicle and load which is important in determining a vehicle's compliance with legal weight thresholds not the potential carrying capacity. When such a vehicle combination is encountered then it is imperative that the vehicle combination is weighed."

I'm not saying I'm right and I'm definitely no angel when it comes to the rules, but if I'm breaking them I like to be aware of any possible 'grey' areas.......