how many dumpy bags

JDR Baker

You'll probably get hundreds of answers to this but the quick one is, it depends. If youre talking about realky straight softwood with little air gaps then a cube of that will yield much more split logs than a cube of bendy oak. Forestry commission publish calculators to work it out, I think softwood is about 75 percent wood to air and hardwood is 55? I have a trailer that is exactly 2cubic metres. If I fil it with slightly heaped load of arb waste, eg manageable logs I xan usually fill 4 proper vented metre cube bags if that helps?

You'll probably get hundreds of answers to this but the quick one is, it depends. If youre talking about realky straight softwood with little air gaps then a cube of that will yield much more split logs than a cube of bendy oak. Forestry commission publish calculators to work it out, I think softwood is about 75 percent wood to air and hardwood is 55? I have a trailer that is exactly 2cubic metres. If I fil it with slightly heaped load of arb waste, eg manageable logs I xan usually fill 4 proper vented metre cube bags if that helps?

this has left me quite confused...

As regards cord if you have say 2 stacks of timber stacks one of ash thinnings and one of pine that are bith 10m by 2m by 2m thats a 40 cubic metre of air that they will both occupy. Because the pine is straighter and stacks well without as much air gaps then there is actually more wood matter than the ash pile which my be different sizes and not as straight so will contain more air. Hence the 55 and 75 percentage calculations. I should say im a tree surgeon not a forester so may have misunderstood the way it was explained to me !!!!

Re the trailer, this is purely my experience. If you take big tightly stacked rings and log them up and throw into a bag all the logs are touching but youre introducing all that air space between the logs in the bag as they are tossed in. This is why none of us stack logs in our bags.