friction saver

John Shutler

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes its true they are the same design, only I was once told its not safe to tie onto the tab that forms the U on the Petzl pulley?

I still use a petzl pulley in this way I do not care as I know it is safe, just as I know using climbing rope as a saw lanyard is safe.

Speaking to the guys on the ISC stall at Cirencester about their version of that pulley, they have load rated the tab specifically for tieing the end of your prussik cord onto this to get round those who are so very very anal about such things.

Am I right does your ISC pulley have a white marked rating at the tab/or bridge?

yes the Isc pulley is tested, marked and rated for that, the petzel is not, if they were confident about using it like that they would say so. the petzl tree bee has a large ring that will fit some pulley's through to make a rope guide or just get the ART pulliey and a dynema sling as it will fit through most normal rings.

climbing rope is not good for a saw lanyard, yes its strong infact the same as the rope your climbing on, so when your saw gets snaged on a branch you've just cut off, which peice is going to give? just my thoughts.

New forest,

shackel needs to be rated and needs to be captively locked off, a mascine screw would be better than a thumb screw, use a locking compond or lock nut, see komet or art stuff for reffence.

a small maillion might work better for you as a

replace ment for the small ring and reduce wear,

VDUBEN

The system as you have show is loading that kad incorectly, that shape needs to be loaded down the spine, the set up has move 50% of the load toward the gate. Find a kab with a shape deising to have load accross the top radius or try a mallion delta.

got there before me

life's not always the party we planed but where here so we might as well dance

:party:

yes the Isc pulley is tested, marked and rated for that, the petzel is not, if they were confident about using it like that they would say so.

climbing rope is not good for a saw lanyard, yes its strong infact the same as the rope your climbing on, so when your saw gets snaged on a branch you've just cut off, which peice is going to give? just my thoughts.

I know this is getting off topic but i'm intrigued:

I don't think Petzl ever thought their pulley would be used in the way i've used it (I now have a hitchclimber), however I would still feel very confident using it in that way, after all one end of my eye 2 eye prussik is supporting what 30-40% max of my weight, and common sense (for me anyway) says that its way strong enough for this application.

Anyway I do suggest using the ISC pulley if you use a french prussik this way, if the tested kit there use it!!!

As for using climbing line for lanyard, yes it has no tearaway, but nether do a majority of lanyards availible. The weaver strops we are issued are crossed stitched and larks footed onto saw and harness, and are as unlikly to break as climbing line.

I've only ever had one piece catch on the chain, it was my stupid fault, and I endeavour to never do it again, since then I have removed some pretty big lumps from trees with no concern of snagging the chain.

Besides if i'm ever slightly concerned i'll remove the saw from my harness (which by the way has a bulit in tearaway!!!) and with my adjustable saw strop its easy to get enough length to make a cut whilst the saw is attached to the tree.

Do you ever drop that out of the tree when retrieving it Bill? Delicate hardware like pulleys and krabs can be easily damaged in a fall from height.....

i normally retrieve it when im still in the tree. but your right, it needs to be checked before use. i havent damaged it yet tho.

couldnt you put on a maillon and leave the pulley on your rope(if you have a spliced eye) all the time? i leave my cs on all the time any ways because of the large sheath around the eye that prevents it falling off and it never really gets in the way..