Schliesing 220

softbankhawks

Does anybody use this chipper? We are having problems with the gripping mechanism on the feed-wheels. The service guys are being a little bit vague but after checking they say that the springs are fine. :confused1:

try sharpning the rollers, make sure you only do the inside face

Does anybody use this chipper? We are having problems with the gripping mechanism on the feed-wheels. The service guys are being a little bit vague but after checking they say that the springs are fine. :confused1:

is it new or second hand mate, my tp has a belt that drives the pump that runs off the main drive, if it gets loose it will squeal a bit, it usually just needs a tightening. maybe yours is similar, but the service guys should have checked that. are the rollers stopping/slowing down/or spinning without gripping?

Edited by Stephen Blair

If the rollers stop turning, it could be that the hydraulic pressure relief valve wants re-calibrating. If the are skipping and thus not pulling in, it may be that they have not got enough downward pressure or they could do with a bit a "re-edge". Occasionally chippers struggle to pull in if the blades are dull, the anvil/shear bar is rounded or the gap twixt blade and shearbar is too great. Contact Mike or Steve at Prochip, they are the importers.

What is the gap twixt blade and shearbar? Blades are changed weekly, hydraulic fluid looks fine, Mike and Steve have seen it. I'll try the rollers and speak to one of the lads about the hydraulic pressure relief valve. Anvil is OK and the blades set against the wear...I think it is 1mm on outside and 2mm on inside away from the anvil.

Thanks. Steve, I am a subby, just trying to help out this gang, I have no idea what chipper they had before.

ok only reason i asked was if they have just switched to that machine after using a timberwolf for instance, then they may have been expecting it to take large wood in as a timberwolf does, and they simply dont. we always used to cut anything big with a slanting cut to make it go through easier.

'slanting cut' why have i never thought of that, doh. my chipper will take anything you give it but sometimes it will thump big bits straight up off the inside of the hopper getting a grip of the butt. you wouldnt want your hand in there when it doeasnt. top tip steve.:001_smile:

On friday it couldn't pull through 2" goat willow with a shallow union...thats rubbish AND infuriating.

If its not the springs then it deffiently sounds like the rollers need a "edge" putting on them, like has already been mentioned. Saying that with a good set of springs it should still pull something like that through, hmmm... :confused1: