Large moth

breffni

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+3 hawk moth very lucky to see one but to have it on your hand make my day. does anyone see now the death head hawk moth not seen any for a long time

The Deaths head is quite rare in the UK. Declining sightings may in part be due to this species unique relationship with Honey Bees and their decline. Deaths Heads are unusual in that, whilst most moth species feed on nectar, they feed on honey, and raid it directly from honey-comb.

As life gets harder for the Bees, so it does for the Moth.

I seen what i think was the Eagle moth the other day, it swooped down from the barn roof, picked up my Jack Russell and I an't seen the little **** since :laugh1: I did notice the moth was mail as it had the largest silvery bullbag you'v ever seen as it swung past my ear with Jack attached to its Proboscis .:001_smile:

I seen what i think was the Eagle moth the other day, it swooped down from the barn roof, picked up my Jack Russell and I an't seen the little **** since :laugh1: I did notice the moth was mail as it had the largest silvery bullbag you'v ever seen as it swung past my ear with Jack attached to its Proboscis .:001_smile:

:lol:

Must admit, I do love getting up in the morning and seeing what I've got.

You chaps that know a lot about moths scare me a little.

Puts me in mind of the scene in silence of the lambs where the baddie lovingly helps one of his pets out of its cocoon.:laugh1:

thanks bren for the info did not know they relied on bees for thier food. learn something interesting on this site all the time. we had some at Junior school which we they had in a averiam interesting to watch. but that was a long time ago when in shorts was talking to the butterfly lady and the butterfly s and moths have had a hard time in the last couple of years due to the wet conditions. few more about this year.Bren how do you make a moth trap have a few around light at night be interesting to trap some to show grand kids the different types. not seen this year yet is the doodlebugs. loads last year. not seen one this year

Edited by hedgesparrow

Best way to start is to just hang a white sheet in the garden, with a bright light source in front of it. Mercury vapour bulbs work best, but they are expensive.

make sure you mount them on a piece of board. They get very hot.

The sheet method is my favourite for kids, as on a good night you can get dozens of moths.

You can get all the kit you need here,

MV & Actinic Electrics - Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies - Moth Traps & Entomological Equipment

This is how effective they can be,

Edited by Bren.
Added info.