MS200T carb problem

Marc

One of my 200t's started playing up a month or so ago so I shelved it for a bit, finally got round to looking at it and have narrowed the problem down to the carb.

Its a new saw only 12 months old, one of the newer types with the breather pipe situated next to the fuel pipe.

The symptoms are like an accelerator pump fault, i'e impossible to tune and erractic running. Only on the new carb the place where the accelerator pump is situated is blanked off with a brass cover.

Now I heard that they improved the qaulity on the accelerator pump by machining it out of stainless steel instead of brass.

So my question is does the my carb have an accelerator pump? Its a "D" type carb

And has anyone else had an accelerator pump problem on the newer type 200t's?

Just trying to see what my chances are of replacing it on warrenty.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They had problem with the carb boot sucking air at the mount.

I thought that could be a possibility, so I swapped carb with a known good one and the saw ran sweet. So the problem is deffiently carb.

I've had it apart and its immaculate inside, no dirt or deformities that I can see. The only part I can't look at is the accelerator pump.

the carbs on the new Ms200s are very poor i find,they altered them to improve emmions, i think, the last two i bought i got a new old model carb fitted under warranty as with the new carb they ran lumpy and kept staling.You may have a problem if it out of warranty,but if you buy a new carb I'd go for the old model,its still available,this is only my own experience others my think differently,hope you get sorted, there's nothing more annoying than being up a tree in the pouring with rain with wind blowing you just get in position to make a cut and your saw stales,another tip on 200's is the pull start they only put one Pawl in the ratchet you put in a second, the hole is there, my dealer does it for me before i collect my new one,he says it because I'm a rough bugger but you don't want to believe that!

Lumpy running, constantly stalling and unable to tune it. As far as i'm aware are classic signs of accelerator pump problems.

I did a Stihl servicing course last year, and it was admitted to me that they are having problems with the reliability of the accelerator pump. Which like you point out is fitted to reduce emmision by increasing fuel effciency.

The older style carb allowed max fuel flow at full rpm and was a much simplier design, this is the "A" type carb.

There have been a few carb types since then about 3 I think, mine is a D carb, I heard they sorted the problem by making the accel, pump out of stainless.

Does'nt look like it though, so I may just go for a new older style carb if I can get one.

Problem is I think the erractic running has ruined my saw by clogging the exhaust and carbing up the piston cylinder.

Not good for a supposed professional qaulity saw.

Its a new saw only 12 months old, one of the newer types with the breather pipe situated next to the fuel pipe.QUOTE]

not very helpfull mark but i always try and get a new saw say after about 12 months and relagate the other to the shed for a rainy day .........to me they just aint worth the hassle when they start playing up thinking how much abuse a poor little saw like that gets and out of all your saws that will be the one thats always on the truck

Its a new saw only 12 months old, one of the newer types with the breather pipe situated next to the fuel pipe.QUOTE]

not very helpfull mark but i always try and get a new saw say after about 12 months and relagate the other to the shed for a rainy day .........to me they just aint worth the hassle when they start playing up thinking how much abuse a poor little saw like that gets and out of all your saws that will be the one thats always on the truck

I agree with that, i do the same, but it depends on how much work your saw has done,if you've had you're moneys worth you could just be throwing cash at a well worn saw,also if you change it yearly i think its better for tax,not sure, as thats my accountants job,but i think he said something of the sort