Rope wrench new comer help!!!

So, I'm trying to make the transistion from DRT to SRT or at least say I've had a go at both and decide which one in like best. I went for a rec climb tonight to give my new rope wrench a try I haven't had the chance to at work and didn't really want to with out having a good trial on the ropes.

I used the rope wrench with a VT friction hitch with friction cord attaching the rope wrench to my climbing set up. I only have a standard Yale rope and I used a doubled ended spliced polyester cord for friction hitch and clipped the rope wrench to my chest.

In my accent I used patin and petlze hand accender with foot loop, my pantin some times slipped and I found my friction hitch hadn't grabbed the rope at all! I scared my self allitte as it felt like nothing was holding my weight and was going to if I slipped. I then made my way down to the bottom and switched my friction hitch to a distel I still found it very uncomfable. I'm sure this is usual when switching systems and trying new things. Any tips or anything I am doing wrong?

I also found if cannot get my throw line right at the top of the tree I would have to switch to DRT once I have accened to move on further on up the tree? I just don't understand how SRT climbing flows as well as DRT I need some help.

Any way I have spilled my problems if any one can offer advice would be much appreciated!

Edited by JackRoy

Hello bud, I'm no expert with SRT but I would say to try using the Knut hitch, it's very reliable. On your way up stick a karabiner through the hole in your pantin, that'll stop the rope from popping out. What tether have you got? I end up advancing drt when I can't throw to the top, just fold your wrench back until you've reached your tip. I'd ask on here if there's anyone who uses a wrench close to you and would be up for a rec climb, you'll learn in an afternoon what would take you a month by yourself. Until you're confident, low and slow bud 👍

Hello bud, I'm no expert with SRT but I would say to try using the Knut hitch, it's very reliable. On your way up stick a karabiner through the hole in your pantin, that'll stop the rope from popping out. What tether have you got? I end up advancing drt when I can't throw to the top, just fold your wrench back until you've reached your tip. I'd ask on here if there's anyone who uses a wrench close to you and would be up for a rec climb, you'll learn in an afternoon what would take you a month by yourself. Until you're confident, low and slow bud 👍

:thumbup1:

Cheers!!

I've been a little keen and had a little climb this evening again (work is quite at the moment! Today I have been fencing a little boring compared to trees!) I used the Knut hitch! So much better, was really good!! Felt much safer maybe when I've built my confidence with SRT I will go to a faster hitch!

Still need some practice on my branch walk SRT mind but I'm going to use SRT my next opportunity at work!

i would defintily say when your starting on the wrench throw extra wraps into your hitch. Make it tight. get the friction strong so you have to drag it up the rope a little. As you gain confidence with the technique you can speed your hitch up a bit. Sam as in ddrt. A stiff hitch cord can also not catch sometimes. I find a more supple cord like the Yale beeline is more reliable than the Teufleberger stiffer oceans poly. Play around with your hitch cords and just make them really bomber especially in your long ascents where the hitch has more opportunity to open up. monitor it as you are ascending and remember speed is not important so just keep an eye on your hitch. If you need to stop, lanyard in and re-adjust your hitch do so. The hitch will be different than what your used to on ddrt. There are thousands of great combinations out there.

I know where you are coming from.

I do mostly crown reductions and hazard prunes, out on the tips.

Srt for ascent and descent, work climb is mostly drt but some times I am forced to transition between the two because of drt friction is too great with the rope against limbs.

Srt is really drt in disguise any way because you end up tending and pulling yourself in 2:1 fashion sometimes.

Either way I keep my RW at the ready and many times it is the principle in conjuction with my Lj or Sj.

There will be a few aha moments yet to come.

So, I'm trying to make the transistion from DRT to SRT or at least say I've had a go at both and decide which one in like best. I went for a rec climb tonight to give my new rope wrench a try I haven't had the chance to at work and didn't really want to with out having a good trial on the ropes.

I used the rope wrench with a VT friction hitch with friction cord attaching the rope wrench to my climbing set up. I only have a standard Yale rope and I used a doubled ended spliced polyester cord for friction hitch and clipped the rope wrench to my chest.

In my accent I used patin and petlze hand accender with foot loop, my pantin some times slipped and I found my friction hitch hadn't grabbed the rope at all! I scared my self allitte as it felt like nothing was holding my weight and was going to if I slipped. I then made my way down to the bottom and switched my friction hitch to a distel I still found it very uncomfable. I'm sure this is usual when switching systems and trying new things. Any tips or anything I am doing wrong?

I also found if cannot get my throw line right at the top of the tree I would have to switch to DRT once I have accened to move on further on up the tree? I just don't understand how SRT climbing flows as well as DRT I need some help.

Any way I have spilled my problems if any one can offer advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Jack,

Glad you've been having a go and it can take some time to switch from ddrt to srt. stick the lanyard over your shoulder, clip it in to give you a self tending ascent. If you have time and i mean a lot of time read the Rope Wrench feedback, SRT Q&A threads, they have a lot of info and a lot of help so when you encounter a problem you probably will have already read it on here.

Welcome and enjoy.