advice needed (chainsaws and rivers)

burrell_

this one will have to be done from a boat if i tried to walk in the river i 15 ft deep in no time

scuba diving gear then now i need a ms 200t to work under water :lol:

i no how im going to finish the trunk off now cheers chaps

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did one of these last year.It was a large willow that had fallen in and then grown a fair bit putting out branches.I wore a pair of waders as it wasnt too deep, but it was the removal of the branches which took the longest.I took out a rope to tie branches to and a mate hauled them in.

The trunk was cut up with my 046 with a big bar to keep the powerhead out the water.The sections were lifted out with a telelifter.

Afterwards i stripped the saw right down and thoroughly cleaned and oiled everything.

Even though i wore waders, there was so many underwater branches to get through, they were pierced so i got wet anyway.

I do quite a bit of this type of stuff with the Environment Agency in the lower bits of Somerset. I keep a special felling wedge just for keeping big cuts from pinching when it's not possible to undercut, it has a 6mm hole through one of the thick corners with a bootlace and big cork on it. They sink quite slowly with no extra flotation so 3 or 4 wine corks is enough to stop you losing it. I also keep a length of tat with a cork on to tie to my felling lever, but the tat has to be longer than the depth of the water. Just means you can lay your tools on the river bed and be confident of getting them when you need them.:thumbup:

I used to do loads of those when I worked for a navigations authority. Take as much weight from a boat, first putting ropes on each limb as you go. The boat has to be tied up pretty tight as the chain will either pull or push it. When you've taken as much as you could out, winch the rest. Bar in the water no problems, just be prepared to get wet! :)

funny enough mate it is josh lol

what I was worried about is wet wood pinching on the bar more than anything so I thought I would ask the Q and see what I could work out

and jon im planning to winch the tree out in bits but the trunk is still attached to the root ball and I need to cut the trunk that is under water to free the last bit its 3ish ft DIA so the 076 with 48inch bar it is :lol::lol::lol:

oh I was going to use bio oil anyway

or I could see if nifty steve has his u900 going

i could prob borrow the other mog with the big hiab fitted:thumbup: