stock fencing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah gripples have their uses. My personal method is to tye the netting around the strainers at each end using nots then roll out to the middle of the span-put a clamp on each bit of netting pull it together to get the tension using the boundary chain strainers then when all is good and tight I join the the two ends using gripples, I then release the chain strainers by which time the gripples hold the tension then I tweek each gripple using the gripple tool to iron out any unevenness in the netting then twist the end bits of using a twisty tool thing looks very neat and no chance of the gripples slipping (which they can do in frozen weather unless you tye the ends off)

Edited by Matthew Storrs

having the correct tools for the job make it so much easier.

not to hijack you thread but I have some fencing tools for sale, pair of boundary bars, gripple torg tool (plastic) monkey strainer. spinning jenny. I have had a change of direction in my business and no longer do fencing.

if an interest to anyone drop me a message.

If you can find an old Allen scythe blade carrier or similar, you can make a brilliant & simple barbed wire strainer.

You will need to cut one of the points, including the slot that the blade runs in, from this blade carrier and glue it (braze) to a bar/tube of about 3' in length.

You then use the slot to put the wire in and the point to spike into the post and presto, a very simple device with no moving parts.:thumbup:

I find old galvanised water pipe works for all these sorts of jobs.

ol-philip_a.jpg.d5b5e0bde593a90008e7757a54818674.jpg

I think gripples will hold up to 300kg per strand, i.e. 2.4 tonnes of pull on a 8 strand stock net. I usually put them every 50 metres i.e. midway along a 100m stretch, or wherever it's convenient. The last little job I did was 125metres with one set of 8 gripples near the middle. You can always go back and tighten them again.