Climbing test

treehugger

I'm L/A and have requested climbing tests/assessments for the last two sets of interviews. Most L/A's use a scoring system when interviewing candidates and the climbing test is now an essential part of the interview procedure.

Don’t worry about it, in theory it would be possible for someone to ‘blag’ their way through an interview and ID tests and get the job (and not be able to climb). The assessment is there to make sure you 'walk the walk' as well as 'talk the talk' :001_smile:

Very similar to John here.

Verbal assessment of experience & resume .

Some leaf and Fungi Id,

then invite the top two candidates back for a fell, climb and rig assessment.

Can't speak for all LA's, but from my perspective I would advice to not climb flash or fast, also have a good base line understanding of topical p&d.

Probably not hugely important, but shows you have a keen interest in what you're working with.

Best of luck Treehugger :001_smile:

Might have to do a 'climbing test' for a job with a local authority - never had to do something official like this before; always just prooved myself 'on the job' as it were.

Any ideas what tricks i can be expected to perform?! Also, I generally use a main climbing line and a 5m lanyand to position with/as my 2nd line/when using a chainsaw.

Is this acceptable for companies who want everything done completely by the book?

just treat it like your driving test mate:001_smile:

Oxford council used to do a climbing test, lead climber set a few targets in a tree, candidates had to reach each target in a reasonable i.e not superfast time. One lad failed because he spent ages trying to make massive throws with his rope rather than just making steady progress.

Fly up there on your spikes, smash the head out with a 66, come whizzing down like a dervish and start quaffing cider from a stash of cans in your climbing bag. Job's yours mate.

Seriously, good luck with it!

Throw a test back at them. Sudoku, or a quick round of DVD based who wants to be a millionare.

In all seriousness, Asking them challenging questions about their working practices, will provide them with evidence you are to be taken seriously and that you know what's what.

battleships?

i used to cheat at battleships, i would stack all the ships ontop of the air craft carrier and try and confuse my oponent :sneaky2:

and after marks advice i thought mine was very sensible, he has obviously heard about my climbing criteria:001_tongue: