Can't find a job... Need advice

Hi I'm 17 years old I have been trying to find a job in this line of work for just over a year now, and I haven't found anything, I have just finished a years course at riseholme collage in forestry, I passed with a merit and I'm interested in going back if I still can't find work.

I have a manual handling and first aid at work ticket.

I'm looking at going for my chainsaw and climbing ticket soon.

I also have all the right PPE for work

Can anyone give me some advise for job hunting?

My email is [email protected]

Hi I'm 17 years old I have been trying to find a job in this line of work for just over a year now, and I haven't found anything, I have just finished a years course at riseholme collage in forestry, I passed with a merit and I'm interested in going back if I still can't find work.

I have a manual handling and first aid at work ticket.

I'm looking at going for my chainsaw and climbing ticket soon.

I also have all the right PPE for work

Can anyone give me some advise for job hunting?

My email is [email protected]

Nathan,

I would suggest taking another year at college and getting your basic chainsaw and climbing qualifications in place. As many will tell you experience is everything in this industry and so if you can get any weekend work, even voluntary, then go for it.

Be POLITE but PERSISTENT and stick at it!

Good luck and I wish you well.

Paul

Forget the chainsaw tickets in the first instance and go for a driving licence and then a towing licence, you need a shitty stick to beat off plebs out of college with a ton of tickets and no experience.

A driving licence and some means to get yourself to work will set you head and shoulders above the "sorry, my bus was late" brigade.

You can gain tickets as you get experience but you can't get experience without a job.

Forget the chainsaw tickets in the first instance and go for a driving licence and then a towing licence, you need a shitty stick to beat off plebs out of college with a ton of tickets and no experience.

A driving licence and some means to get yourself to work will set you head and shoulders above the "sorry, my bus was late" brigade.

You can gain tickets as you get experience but you can't get experience without a job.

I agree in principle here, and very good points well made, but as most drivers of company vehicles have to be aged min. 21, and often 25, for insurance purposes they may as well try to get a few more tickets / experience in the interim yeah?

The issue of getting yourself to work on time is absolutely correct :thumbup1:

Paul

most drivers of company vehicles have to be aged min. 21, and often 25

Perhaps in certain industries but ime, not this one. It's an industry full of young men, having insurances like that would really not help the vast majority of contractors.

To the op, try to give yourself an edge, work out what it is that is going to make you more employable than all the other lads who've just finished the course with you. Colleges are churning out more and more lads into an already saturated industry, the ones who get employed are the ones who have or give something extra.

Good luck:thumbup:

That's a really good point actually, many of the CV's we get are from non drivers, pretty much as soon as someone with some decent categories sends one in the get a trial immediately if we're looking for staff. So I'd say get a driving licence and CS30 & 31. You'll likely get a job grounding and can head on up the ladder from there. Like others have said experience is the key thing so make your self marketable, reliable and polite. It may just get you that foot in the door.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I agree in principle here, and very good points well made, but as most drivers of company vehicles have to be aged min. 21, and often 25, for insurance purposes they may as well try to get a few more tickets / experience in the interim yeah?

The issue of getting yourself to work on time is absolutely correct :thumbup1:

Paul

Nope, they don't have to be for insurance purposes, that age boundary is just where the policy starts to get cheaper. There are many insurance companies that will insure young drivers.

A driving licence and a towing licence will give you a distinct advantage, put a basic saw ticket with it and you become eminently employable.