Cedar, is it any good?

Le Sanglier

Ok milling boys!

I have a job to do which involves dismantling and felling 8 cedars.

nothing enormous all single stem the biggest maybe 2 and a half feet dia the smallest a foot.

It's right next to a road so easy to collect.

I have a sawmill/firewood merchant who collects my stuff in these circumstances and I'll get him to take them this time.

My questions are, is cedar sought after as milling wood? I usually let him take stuff just for the convenience, and there is enough money in the job to give it away, or, should I get a decent drink off him?

Cheers in advance...Mick

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you were in the south of England I would buy it for kindling if there were not to many knots. I think its good for cladding buildings. If he takes rough with smooth I would say this would be a smooth so you wont feel guilty giving him some rough in future. Probably still worth a drink as well.

You'll have a lovely smell whichever one it is, Lebanon or Deodar?

My Dad had some beautiful panelling and bedroom cupboard doors made from a Lebanon that came over in the gales of 1974. I remember it took several days to get all the millable pieces of tree to the mill because it was rather large! I have a table and some of my fishing boat is from Deodar and the same Lebanon that my Dad milled all those years ago.

It is an oily timber and mills well, planes beautifully and polishes up over time to a lovely lustre. It is slightly brittle so not a structural timer but it is light in weight and is a lovely golden colour. Hence the odd furniture usage.

It is completely rot proof too and that's why I've used some in the exposed positions on a sailing boat.

Historically it was also used in making drawers/storage boxes because it kept moths at bay because of the smell.

Keep some for yourself if you can, you won't regret that decision! And don't give it away!

codlasher.

Edited by codlasher
Grammar!

never heard of cedar being oily....

i got some deodar from big j in october for my college furniture project and this was the result.

That is a superb piece of craftsman ship there bud . I am impressed to say the least !!:thumbup: