Spiral / Scew / HYCRACK - splitter

dansound

anyone got links or the right names for these and where i could get one?

interested in the screw part or maybe a whole machine.

if i can find somewhere that is the just component parts. i can fashion something together with an afternoon, some plate steel and a motor / engine...

Cheers,

Danny

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of that finger trapping stuff on eBay

You can't run it direct with a motor, it needs slowing down from engine speed to about 500 rpm and they are dangerous enough at that speed. Watch your fingers and don't let anyone else use it.

Put PTO finger trapping device, oooops I mean log splitter into ebay

As said above you need top reduce down via gearing ( Mine is a driven by a duplex chain and two chain wheels ) . You need to reduce the gearing to get the torque . Ideally you need at least 25hp to 30hp . Anything less and it will stall on the cone .

Stubby, that is exactly what i am looking for!

where did you buy 'yer cone from?

Cheers,

Danny

Off the bay . Think it was Poland or Germany . Its heat treated to make it tough as opposed to hard . . Some have a replaceable tip . Check what your final rotation is going to be to determine left or right helix on cone ! Mine is a 13hp Honda and works fine on easy splitting stuff like syc but get a bit of gnarly old elm and it can stall on the cone . You will need at least 25hp .

I've got a hycrack and an oxdale hydraulic splitter - they are both good but I reckon the hycrack is more productive (it is certainly capable of splitting things the oxdale can't). I've never trapped my fingers once - it is very predictable. You just have to understand that it wants to rotate the timber if possible, so you present the log in such a way that it can't. Pretty simple if the operator has any level of common sense IMO.

I've got a hycrack and an oxdale hydraulic splitter - they are both good but I reckon the hycrack is more productive (it is certainly capable of splitting things the oxdale can't). I've never trapped my fingers once - it is very predictable. You just have to understand that it wants to rotate the timber if possible, so you present the log in such a way that it can't. Pretty simple if the operator has any level of common sense IMO.

Second all of that .