Going to offer myself for charity......

Going to offer myself for charity....

You may have recently seen on the national news about the accident in Rhoose, Vale of Glamorgan where a car barrelled through the school crossing taking out the Lollipop Lady along with 5 children and adults.

20 mins earlier I was talking with Karin, the Lollipop Lady, as I dropped my daughter off at pre-school breakfast club before a late start for work, so was spared the horror of the incident. I must repeat that it looks like a freak accident and the driver is as much a victim as everyone else.

There is to be a charity night at Fonmon Castle where amongst other things is a raffle in aid of those affected. Currently prizes range from items from local businesses to a night's babysitting from one of the local mums.

For my part I wish to contribute. If I still had any seasoned logs, a load would have been an easy option. However, I feel a larger donation would be the offer of services for the winner. Half day/ full day?

But what if the winner does not possess trees/ shrubs/ hedges etc. What if they do, but require no services? Should this be transferrable?

Has anyone been in this position?

Is there any sort of etiquette for this? Probably just looking for a sense of majority feeling as to what to offer.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Steve.

You may have recently seen on the national news about the accident in Rhoose, Vale of Glamorgan where a car barrelled through the school crossing taking out the Lollipop Lady along with 5 children and adults.

20 mins earlier I was talking with Karin, the Lollipop Lady, as I dropped my daughter off at pre-school breakfast club before a late start for work, so was spared the horror of the incident. I must repeat that it looks like a freak accident and the driver is as much a victim as everyone else.

There is to be a charity night at Fonmon Castle where amongst other things is a raffle in aid of those affected. Currently prizes range from items from local businesses to a night's babysitting from one of the local mums.

For my part I wish to contribute. If I still had any seasoned logs, a load would have been an easy option. However, I feel a larger donation would be the offer of services for the winner. Half day/ full day?

But what if the winner does not possess trees/ shrubs/ hedges etc. What if they do, but require no services? Should this be transferrable?

Is there any sort of etiquette for this? Probably just looking for a sense of majority feeling as to what to offer.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Steve.

Why would someone without trees bid??

I've done it for my children's school in the past, once a load of logs and the last time half a days tree work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Steve.

HI STEVE nice one there mate well done mate jon :thumbup:

It's always nice to see someone doing something for a good cause.

I've never done services in a raffle, but I've put in a few loads of logs into different things. I always make them transferable as some folk don't have a fire, but I always put limits on it both in terms of time and location. So for example in the last Christmas raffle I said the prize could be delivered within 20 miles of my base and had to be claimed by April. You could probably do something similar. It's good to do things for charity, but some folk have very high expectations - you don't want someone winning a transferable prize and then expecting you to travel hundreds of miles to trim their parents hedge.

Sorry just reread your post, ours was an auction, not a raffle.

Got me thinking there. I'll put it to the organiser that my donation could be auctioned rather than raffled, at least the winner would be getting something they want/ need and it might raise more money than just buying a raffle ticket.:thumbup1:

Could just imagine though the bidding only going up to a tenner to have us for a day and the winner being a local tree firm:ohmy:

I have done something like this before, but what I did was give a voucher for £250 worth of tree and shrub work, the winner gets you out to quote for work, you agree a price and only then do they let you know that they have the voucher. That way it's genuine. And you can know beforehand the total cost to your company. And it can be gift-aided and tax-deductible. And your concern about local tree company winning is covered. And bidders know the face value of voucher, setting a tone for bids or for fixing the charity value of the voucher at say £100.