kubota g18?

mowingjamie

hi guys im after your thoughts on the kubota g18 ride on mower. its a low dump model with 1700 hours. what they like at this age? anything to look out for when buying? if im right in thinking it has the 18hp diesel kubota in it? what they like to run and maintain?

cheers

jamie.

I use a high dump version at one of the jobs I do. I think thats got about 4000 hours on it. Gets a full service every year. Starts on the button, cuts well just dont let the grass get to long or it wont pick it up well. Same with wet grass ok if its short but not if its long.

If the grass is long or wet I cut it & collect as much as it can. The rest gets left in rows that I will then go over again the next day & it hoovers it all up.

One of my jobs this week is to repair the deck as it has rotted through in a few places. Mainly due to the owner putting it away covered in wet grass for the past few years. Clean it down after each use.

the kubota is good but the mower deck is not brill as other posts rear discharge they get clogged if long or wet. had to strim some long grass today for the council as kubota would not cut it as clogging up i strimmed it down he then cut it and blew it into collector but it still blocked up had to clear it.if i was going for a ride on would look for a side discharge model. eg yanmar shibaru ford.it then gets thrown out and does not clog under deck

• 1 month later...

G18 is a good mower. does clog like others have said if grass is long and wet. A brush collection system on other types of mowers will collect better but don't be put off. does a really good job. deck is suspended rather than running on wheels. The wheels on the deck are anti scalp wheels only. deck is shaft drive so the machine is reliable just keep on top of the greasing, etc and it'll run and run. water cooled engine, runs for ever on a tank of juice....

The gr 2100 is a good machine WHEN working but ours has been a lot of trouble broken clutch pro bearing which knackered pro clutch 600 quid parts to sort . Glide steer cables break regularly new machine has rods to fix this problem , rear axle inner bearings fail which is a complete strip down 7 hours labour , 4 wheel drive stopped tracked down to a slipped shaft being held in by circlip . All of the above the dealer insisted was our fault and no warranty lack of grease being the main factor even though it is checked and greased daily not the 50 hours as on the book . I had a blazing row over constant problems of no rep phoning back etc that I had no option except contact Kubota direct (better not say who ) and he fixed this in 30 min with a grovelling rep on the phone guaranteeing the drive system for 1 year extra no charge on fixing gearbox fault, 7 working ours later 4 wheel drive gone again this te a clever mechanic secured shaft with a locking bush and grub screw . So my message is complain like f!!!!' If you feel you are being pushed about and tell them you share info on forums that's what I think swayed it tbh they don't like bad press but to conclude they are when working one of the best machines ime