ODTS Poisioned from woodchips

Tree:Tment

The spores must be active most at a certain stage. Otherwise people would be dropping like flies as the walk through woodlands ect. These big recycling centres must be on top of these problems and have systems in place to deal with it. The other thing to watch out for around grains stores and water is weals disease very similar symptoms.

Yep weals disease. Had the whole talk and what not on everything on grain stores when I used to clean them.

I used to get very tight chested at that time of year. I used to wear masks, but the problems came about when I used to walk out the grain store, thinking I was out the danger zone, remove the mask so I could breath again, then dust myself off. This was a mistake. Keep the mask on until well clear of he store. As the dust isn't always visible at the doorway. And also when brushing off the dust would be there again.

And OSR is the worst type. It's horrible.

But anyway derail on grain stores.

A very good heads up and always one to think about before grabbing that shovel.:thumbup:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do track down what it is causing you to feel like this let me know as i have had exactly the same symptoms[dam spell check] and i have lost weight with it as well. Not been by any old chip this year.

Ok. It's horrible I can tell you and it is effecting my eating. If I don't eat by 6-7pm I won't eat at all. Skip breakfast aswell, this just makes me feel ill by ten. But once working I will eat as I'm on empty. Bloated and feel sick until about four.

Doesn't matter on time of day or so far what I eat, had a couple of days without eating bread, no change, also skipped meat, dairy, veg, fruit, not all at once but one around the other. Wasn't easy. But nothing has made a difference. Need to book docs again. Also blood tests came back with nothing. Might look into the chip stuff but not dealt with any for a while.

had a couple of days without eating bread.

Not wanting to take this off topic, but it will take a hell of a lot longer than a couple of days off the bread or any food to know if it could be that making you feel ill.

Not wanting to take this off topic, but it will take a hell of a lot longer than a couple of days off the bread to know if it could be that making you feel ill.

That was the docs recommendation. A few days of each food. It will take longer but there should be any improvement if only a little one. And there definatly hasn't.

It's strange and sorry to share this bit but my bowels arnt regular either. And I could set my watch by my movements.

Anyway moving off topic and will get told off.

Mouldy spores in wood chip bad. Nice freshly chipped wood good. :thumbup1:

I stickied this thread the day after it started. :001_rolleyes:

On the smoking side of things, and this is only my clouded ex-smoker point of view, nicotine will tar up the lining of your breathing passages, then pollens, dust particles or maybe fungal spores would be even more likely to clog you up further?

This is a serious thread making us aware of the dangers to the most important part of our life, our health. Thanks for posting.

May be its been affecting people for a long time as in the information below it says that it is similar to flu, cold etc

“Its occurrence among farmers is estimated at around 6-8%. However, as many as 30% of swine confinement and grain workers may be affected because of their exposure to high levels of organic dust. ODTS is probably under-reported because symptoms resemble the flu or other mild illnesses. It also has a strong resemblance to an acute episode of the much rarer, but more serious disease known as Farmer's Lung, or hypersensitivity pneumonitis. However, careful medical examination shows these to be very different diseases. ODTS is mild and short-lived, although it may recur. If more than one person is exposed to the same high levels of decayed material, they may suffer ODTS together. Farmer's lung, on the other hand, is an allergic inflammation of the lungs. The rare individual who develops this disease has had prior exposure causing sensitization to mold. This disease may become chronic, disabling and life threatening. Thus, it is important to be able to distinguish these illnesses.” Reference: Occupational Medicine -- AgEBB

Should we work with a mask all the time when chipping?

Should we wear a mask when carrying out chainsaw work that produces wood chip ?

Should we wear a mask generally when working with dusts ?

This definitely an area that’s needs research because it’s a serious issue that effects us all.

Once again thank you for this thread.

PS lets not go of topic this it an imporatant thread.

I do agree Tom.

It will need investigation if it hasn't already.

But let's not forget that most these type of things end up getting out of hand and full of red tape. And this will hinder the way arb folk work. We all have common sense yet HSE have to allow for idiots, this effects everyone.

I do agree Tom.

It will need investigation if it hasn't already.

But let's not forget that most these type of things end up getting out of hand and full of red tape. And this will hinder the way arb folk work. We all have common sense yet HSE have to allow for idiots, this effects everyone.

So what would you list as common sense rules to apply. Maybe a list would stop people getting ill and less likely to bring it to the attention of the clip board brigade.

1. ensure you work up wind of the chipper

2. empty the tipper that day.

3 wear a mask if its dusty or you are turning over a heap.

4. If you feel ill always wear a mask go to the doc if you feel ill.

Pleased that there has been good responses from this thread...means that the word is getting around about working with woodchips safely.

One thing i think that everyone should be aware of is becoming hypersensitive. If you are exposed to woochips for over a period of time and are getting reactions like sore bones etc from it then you might have became hypersensitive to this. ( Meaning any amount of dust from woodchips will set of an reaction ). Your body will get inflammation much easier as it will set of a defense against the dust far more often.

This is something that we should be worried about as becoming hypersensitive to dust means that you may need to give up working where there is a dusty enviroment.

After speaking to doctor, reading online about this..i truly believe that dust masks should be worn for working with trees.

I will keep this post updated on how i feel..e.g if i feel more pain chances are i have become hypersensitive to wooddust.

The other day after cutting up a large oak there was dust in my eyes (which hurt for a long time) it took a lot of washing out and did not clear until I had one nights sleep. I also I have been coughing up this green/dark mucus (and I don’t smoke) I have had no allergic reaction or symptoms, but I am sure what has happened is that I have inhaled lots of particles of wood chip and my body is now ejecting it.

The truth is its completely unnatural to breath in what we do in our job so no wonder why we cough, become ill and have reactions. If you are wise this thread should make you think seriously about protecting your external and internal body from the every day dusts in Arb/Tree work. I am going too buy a pair of ski goggles and a dust mask right now.