What should quotations cover?

Smith126

Hi,

I have recently got my tickets for tree work and been working with a company for afew weeks now, and pretty much there with my equipment, but now im qualified friends and family all seem to be coming out of the wood work...asking for work doing to their trees. I realise pricing and quotations are taboo subject on here, after all who wants to give away there trade secrets for free...however...hopefully someone can help.

I've recently been asked to take on two seperate jobs, taking down some trees and clear the site. I've estimated it to be a days work, for two guys. One is a rather large willow, the over a group of lawsons cypresses.

My question isn't how much to charge, but what sort things should you cover in the formal quotation that would be sent to the client. Is it as simple as 1 day for two men to clear the site, (stumps included) and dispose of the material. It will be ....

or do you need to go more in depth.

Cheers.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably being asked to do work for friends and family because they want it doing on the cheap. Point them in the direction of the company you work for, get your boss to quote for it and then send you to do the work. That way your freinds and family are helping you stay in employment (which is what good friends and family should do).

The alternative is to price it up yourself and get sacked pretty quickly from your job.

If you feel you have what it takes to set up on your own then go for it, leave your job and get started with these friends/family jobs but pricing up work while employed by someone else is the fastest way to have no work at all. Of course, as long as you dont mention it on a public forum you might just get away with it.

You are probably being asked to do work for friends and family because they want it doing on the cheap. Point them in the direction of the company you work for, get your boss to quote for it and then send you to do the work. That way your freinds and family are helping you stay in employment (which is what good friends and family should do).

The alternative is to price it up yourself and get sacked pretty quickly from your job.

If you feel you have what it takes to set up on your own then go for it, leave your job and get started with these friends/family jobs but pricing up work while employed by someone else is the fastest way to have no work at all. Of course, as long as you dont mention it on a public forum you might just get away with it.

If it's private/weekend work what's the problem?

Daniel.

If it's private/weekend work what's the problem?

Daniel.

No problem if your boss doesnt mind, but in virtually every proffesion this would result in instant dismissal. No warnings or employee tribunals needed, I think its included as a form of gross misconduct.

If you are employed full time then that is a priveledge and you should promote the company you work for, not try and take work from them for yourself. Its called moonlighting and various other things.

Also, if you employed full time then you would be expected to be rested and good to go on mondays not knacked from working all weekend. Of course people tire themselves out in all sorts of ways at weekends but even then some companies take a dim viw of this. If I employed someone who wasnt fit for work on mondays due to playing rugby (just an expample) then the employemnt wouldnt last long.

Not saying dont do it, I'm sure most of us have ( I know I did) but just be aware that its not good form.

No problem if your boss doesnt mind, but in virtually every proffesion this would result in instant dismissal. No warnings or employee tribunals needed, I think its included as a form of gross misconduct.

If you are employed full time then that is a priveledge and you should promote the company you work for, not try and take work from them for yourself. Its called moonlighting and various other things.

Also, if you employed full time then you would be expected to be rested and good to go on mondays not knacked from working all weekend. Of course people tire themselves out in all sorts of ways at weekends but even then some companies take a dim viw of this. If I employed someone who wasnt fit for work on mondays due to playing rugby (just an expample) then the employemnt wouldnt last long.

Not saying dont do it, I'm sure most of us have ( I know I did) but just be aware that its not good form.

Yes that's right. I just sit in the garage all week end in the dark, recharging my batteries ready for work on Monday. :lol:

Well put Rupe. That's fair enough!

Daniel.

What an odd post! Of course he can do his own work at the weekends, everyone started that way surely?

Not bad form at all, some employers I have known happily hire gear out to trusted blokes at the weekend.

Yes, I know some employers dont mind.

But, no, there is no right for him to do his own work AND remain in employment, what I mean is the employer would have every right to instantly dismiss someone for this, no discussion, pack your bags. Same with any other industry.

Im sure many did start this way, telling the boss about it is not necessarily a good idea though.

What an odd post! Of course he can do his own work at the weekends, everyone started that way surely?

Not bad form at all, some employers I have known happily hire gear out to trusted blokes at the weekend.

Quite, my old boss hired how his mog and chipper for a weekend once for £50. It wasn't even a job for family or friends.

I thinks he knew I wasn't the remotest bit interested in starting my eventual company in his area anyway.

I can see Rupes point tho really- if your on the books etc it'd show gratitude to point the work in the bosses direction.

If your self employed and trying to start up anyway- crack on! Just put down basic job spec on the quote plus your price- beware of stipulating too much information about the job it can lead to complications- just keep it basic:thumbup1: