New product idea (book) - Feedback please!

martwizz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the sample page it just looks like an ident book with the addition of a rather vague and arbitrary one to five grade on those four criteria.

How can timber quality be assessed with just a cartoon of a picture of four planks?

Just saying,nobody bother jumping down my throat for being negative!

Looking at the sample page it just looks like an ident book with the addition of a rather vague and arbitrary one to five grade on those four criteria.

How can timber quality be assessed with just a cartoon of a picture of four planks?

Just saying,nobody bother jumping down my throat for being negative!

Yes, its not the most accurate description, but this is just the summary graphic. I would describe the more specific qualities in the areas below. I thought that a rating out of 5 would give a good quick-reference example which could be compared to other species, all ratings relative to each other. imagine 1 = terrible and 5 = amazing.

I do agree that its a bit flim-flam though. Do you have any other suggestions?

The information itself, once compiled is going to be comprehensive. Way way more than an ident book could ever offer. Hopefully i will have some better examples in a few weeks!

Yes, its not the most accurate description, but this is just the summary graphic. I would describe the more specific qualities in the areas below. I thought that a rating out of 5 would give a good quick-reference example which could be compared to other species, all ratings relative to each other. imagine 1 = terrible and 5 = amazing.

I do agree that its a bit flim-flam though. Do you have any other suggestions?

The information itself, once compiled is going to be comprehensive. Way way more than an ident book could ever offer. Hopefully i will have some better examples in a few weeks!

I'll have a think. Maybe a portal to another site/page which will have applications for the wood, drawbacks, ie Shake etc

what a great idea:thumbup::thumbup: that format you have laid out looks clean and uncluttered basic straight forward easy to read and find the answer

as rob d said some books have too much information gets confusing

another idea which will make it more expensive but well worth it

have the pages laminated or some sort of photo album sleeve type of idea as we all know when your out working handling green wet trees ones hands arent usualy fit for turning the pages on a nice adult tree book:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

Thank you everybody for your feedback so far. As the project has moved onto a new stage, I have created a new thread. At the moment, people are getting a bit confused, thinking that it is still a book!

Please check out http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/66694-feedback-required-please.html#post1014055 for the latest. Cheers :)

This is really very good. I'm not an arborist but have been replanting a wood for the past year and researching the 100+ species I've planted. This would have been very valuable as I've had to read up myself and do the work you're doing.

Few random thoughts.

Include pictures of younger immature trees (good to show clients).

Perhaps include a bit of info on use of trees eg Sorbus T. was used to flavour beer before hops were used hence the common use of The Chequers as a pub name.

Make sure the info is correct. Sorbus t. grows well in shade under oaks trees.

Would definitely use it once complete.