A pretty basic question.....?

Mr P

I've been climbing for 3 years now but it has mostly all been on utility work (until about 4months ago) and due to the nature of the work I never really had to do full prunes or reductions. I've asked this question to a few other climbers but they never really gave me a definitive answer so I was hoping some of you guys with more experience in the field could shed some light on it....

whats the difference between a prune and a reduction??....told you it was basic!!

I don't mean a reduction in height as thats pretty obvious but one in volume. I've been told a reduction is just a heavier prune???

Also I was told over here (Toronto) a prune is crossing branches, dead wood and cleaning out the sprouts in the centre of the tree but you generally don't go out to the ends of the branches at all!! Back in Belfast where I learnt to climb I was told that in pruning you also take off some end weight.

Any thoughts or opinions are much appreciated as is piss taking ;) cheers paddy

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair enough, maybe it was the surveyor was getting me confused as when doing street trees he would have one down as a reduction and one down as a prune....I just did a slightly heavier prune on the reduction one and never heard any complaints....maybe I'm just making something out of nothing!

I would say basically they are the same things, Prune/reduction/trim, all mean "Make smaller"

Not really

Reduction tends to be in size, and a specific measurement given as to how much to take off, normally incorporates a prune as a matte of course

Prune, basic prune IMO is dead, crossing, epicormics, Stubbs, leaving the shape untouched, unless something like lamp house ect is too close, or there's a daft looking sticky outy bit. Then there's safety pruning, formative pruning etc

Thin, reduction in volume, allows more light to filter through, shape untouched. Not lions tailing mind

Trim, hedges are trimmed

I second this, pruning is not intended to reduce height or width. lime trees especially I would prob do a thin as part of the pruning.

Not really

Reduction tends to be in size, and a specific measurement given as to how much to take off, normally incorporates a prune as a matte of course

Prune, basic prune IMO is dead, crossing, epicormics, Stubbs, leaving the shape untouched, unless something like lamp house ect is too close, or there's a daft looking sticky outy bit. Then there's safety pruning, formative pruning etc

Thin, reduction in volume, allows more light to filter through, shape untouched. Not lions tailing mind

Trim, hedges are trimmed

Would you say a reduction is similar to a prune but you also cut each branch back to a lateral depending on how much the client wants off??

Cheers for the feedback by the way!

No, pruning as above, pruning to mostly let light into the tree to encourage fresh growth, dead, crossing branches, branches too close to each other, and poss tree shaping, IE if there is the odd branch sticking out of the crown more than others.

Would you say a reduction is similar to a prune but you also cut each branch back to a lateral depending on how much the client wants off??

Cheers for the feedback by the way!