anyone cut through a BT cable underground?

Matthew Storrs

I dug through my own and my nieghbours, she went bonkers, :001_rolleyes:BT got called, it was the end of the world, can't believe you guys didn't know about the epic broken BT cable from Largs in 2006!!!!:laugh1:

BT engineer turns up, and it was a guy who we had out in a shut down 1 day on a rad elm job, I bought him 2 bacon rolls and a coffee that day.

He fixed the cables, he said a nice turn deserves another, never got a bill and the planet re balanced after the nieghbour did some more moaning:sneaky2::biggrin:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find tree surgeon Essex.

Well, BT haven't actually turned up yet despite saying they'd be there yesterday and I saw two open reach vans go past.

The money its going to cost me annoys me (although I'm going to try and get out of that one) but what annoys me more is the disruption caused to the customer- they work from home so being without internet or phone for a few days is downtime for them:thumbdown:

Trouble is I can't even finish straining up the stock netting either cost it would go over where the line is snapped.

Anyway from the posts sounds like I'm not the only one having problems:laugh1:

Copper cable you say??? Well the obvious course of action is to dig the entire lot out of the ground. Then take said cable to a suitable area (Usually just outside your caravan) and burn off those nasty plastic sheaths. Then forward on said cable to a local scrap metal dealer in exchange for many £££'s!

After this return to door knocking for arb related work with a pocket full of cash, Safe in the knowledge no-one can ring the police as you have relieved them of their phone lines for a week :D!!!

Copper cable you say??? Well the obvious course of action is to dig the entire lot out of the ground. Then take said cable to a suitable area (Usually just outside your caravan) and burn off those nasty plastic sheaths. Then forward on said cable to a local scrap metal dealer in exchange for many £££'s!

After this return to door knocking for arb related work with a pocket full of cash, Safe in the knowledge no-one can ring the police as you have relieved them of their phone lines for a week :D!!!

Ahh a fool proof business plan, try presenting that to the bank manager!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Ahh a fool proof business plan, try presenting that to the bank manager!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

just for everyones note books 0800 9173993 is bts dial before you dig service.Its free but requires advance notice,but they come out and mark all cables with marker spray.

• 2 weeks later...

one of my regulars had a tree knock out the electric and bt lines for their house and ten others. Electric back on within hours. Bt took just over 2 weeks to reconnect the phone lines. Also they said "we dont have time to put them back on the post" and just left them running across a field and on the verge.

This isn't a new problem.

When I was about 6, I was watching some builders working with a JCB when they dug though the phone cable service my parents' house and about a dozen others. All they did was reconnect the severed wires and backfill the hole.

After a few days it dawned on all of us that we were all getting a lot of wrong number calls, and eventually the GPO (no BT back then) realised what had happened - all the severed "pairs" in the cable had been randomly reconnected, swapping all the numbers round. It took them about a week to sort it all out.

I never found out what happened to the blokes who did the damage.