non running 044

william127

Ive just dug my 1995 044 out the shed and am trying to get it running.

I have filled it with fresh fuel and it has a spark, although I need to set the plug gap, where do I go next? I guess I need to check the fuel lines, should I do aecompression test? Thanks, William.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick fuel in it, pull it over with full choke on and if it won't go then pull the plug and see if it is damp - that is a good start. The engine will need "spark, compression and fuel" .....very basically but stick with me.

If you have a damp and sparking plug, check the compression. You can usually tell if an engine has good compression by haulling the piston up to near top dead centre and feeling for the resistance on the starter handle when pulled slowly over TDC.

If it runs then it is seeing...how it runs, good idle, revs cleanly up to flat out and snaps down to idle again or bad idle, holding on to revs, poor pickup etc, all signs of some fault or another.

just pulled it over a few times on full choke (with fuel in the tank) and whipped the plug out and it was dry, whats the next step? thanks, William.

The dry plug is possibly very low compression, low enough not to pull fuel through the carb - lift the saw up and holding the starter, let go of the saw and time the length of time for it to fall to the full extension of the recoil rope.

1-8 secs isn't good and anything over 10 secs is OK - if you have a compression gauge then test it - anything over 140psi is OK, 150+ is better!

How many times did you pull it over with the choke fully closed - it may take a few extra pulls to get the fuel through if it has been standing for many months/years (say 15 pulls), if this doesn't get the plug wet then you need to inspect the fuel filter isn't clagged up, the fuel line is ok (not soft or cracked)and if OK then you will need to take a look inside the carb.....more later!

just timed it, seemed to be about 10 seconds, i can get access to a comp tester, and will do that when i can.

just pulled it over 20 times and its still dry, gonna check the fuel filter and lines next, thanks for the advice.

Try pulling the fuel line off the carb - it should be wet with fuel and possibly fuel will spurt from it, if this is the case, the issue probably won't be fuel lines or filter!

Once you have done this bit, it will be a case of removing the carb and seeing which part of the carb is dry! It will be worth taking the air filter off and making sure that when the choke is engaged on the lever, it is actually closing FULLY.

Could of just put a bit of fuel down the carb and see if it fires.

No fuel, blocked carb.

Remove carb and clean it out. If old fuel left in could have gunked up, if you used aspen this wouldn't be an issue... I would pull the carb and dismantle it, clean it out and check the diaphragms are ok. While carb off check fuel lines and pressure test the tank. Then check impulse lines are clear and doing what they should.