Help please, thread gone on 088

Marc Lewis

Maybe that's what the thread wa all about. It's in my mind somewhere about the kits you can get. There was some (ahem) discussion over what ones actually worked. :lol::lol:

The helicoil system should work ok I say should as I'm not saying it will or won't, personally I won't do it to a machine I get in as the risk of it coming back to me. Would rather replace with new, but the cost of the new cylinder on a 088 is huge.

I think the steel insert is stronger than the original ally thread . Of course the new steel thread is effectively screwed into the parent aluminum so .....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the steel insert is stronger than the original ally thread . Of course the new steel thread is effectively screwed into the parent aluminum so .....

That's it. Nail on head. I remember now. It was the steel verses ally inserts. I'm sure it went that the ally ones would blow out after a short while. Where as the steel ones wouldn't.

Sorry just trying to get it out my head. I can breath as I have done it now. :lol::lol:

It was in there somewhere.

That's it. Nail on head. I remember now. It was the steel verses ally inserts. I'm sure it went that the ally ones would blow out after a short while. Where as the steel ones wouldn't.

Sorry just trying to get it out my head. I can breath as I have done it now. :lol::lol:

It was in there somewhere.

The tap used cuts a tight thread which mates with the od of the insert . The insert is screwed in with the tool provided and is a tight fit leaving the correct id plug thread ( 14mm or what ever ) :thumbup1:

The bigger the diameter of the threaded part, the more the contact area, so the greater the overall strength. Hence why the steel helicoil is stronger than the original, even on the steel to ali face.

This was done to my 064 - no problems (well, with that bit anyway).

Alec

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm not very mechanically minded, is the helicoil a simple operation? I'm not thinking of doing it myself, but was thinking of getting the guy who usually repairs my saws to do it, or would you think I am better getting someone with experience with helicoils to do it? I wouldn't be so worried/bothered if it was a 357 or similar, but an 088 is something you hope to be a one or 2 in a life time purchase.

I wasn't going to arb show Jon, though I see the protos helmet is being released there which has given me food for thought. I take it you are going? Are you staying over night or coming back same day Jon?

The helicoil system is actually really easy to do if you get the sizes right. There are loads of videos on YouTube on it.

Watch the kits you buy though. I bought one of E Bay, which turned out to be a cheap one which I wouldn't have purchased if I'd Known. The drill was actually bent, poor quality control, so would have ruined the head if I'd used it.

Lot of engineering firms do heli-coiling as well for not that much money, certainly cheaper than a new pot.

If you d-i-y it, it'll take longer to disassemble the saw than actually helicoil it.

Yep. Might be an idea to search for a light engineering place near you. See if they can do it for you. I wouldn't buy a helicoil kit from ebay. Go to a proper place and get one. Either a tool station or screwfix type place. Spend the little bit extra and get a decent one. One of those tools that may sit in the workshop for ages but means you always have it.

I've found Time-Serts to be a far better job than Helicoils in things that need to be fastened and unfastened more that once in the lifetime of the component. Sparkplugs are pretty much the definition of threaded things that need to be used and reused frequently.

Time-Sert do sparkplug kits:

+ TIME-SERT® SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS + spark plug stripped thread repair kits for spark plug problems, thread stripped spark plug repairs in damaged threads in spark plug hole stripped out approved thread repair, aluminum head spark plug repair

Wurth UK are the UK agents.