Tree Officer - Local Authority? Tree surveying.

Good to hear of a planner wanting to improve on tree knowledge! Knowledge is a good thing, and every LA that has a tree warden scheme would like more volunteers I'm sure.

Have you tried the Arboricultural Association? http://www.trees.org.uk/training-events/Overview_3

They run a 'arb knowledge' course and a basic tree inspection course which could be ideal for you.

I hope you're not put off posting here by the odd replies above.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a wee look here http://www.treelifeac.co.uk/Pages/ShortCourses.aspx some good short courses. How far you take it is up to you I guess, you or employer paying, what you want to do in the future etc are all considerations. BS5837 course will be specific to you I imagine. If you are ok'ing apps for tpo'd trees/s211 notices you really ought to have specific arb knowledge. You mentioned you have an aboriculturist, why not pick their brains?

Please ignore any offensive posts - this is a great forum with loads of useful info. I, as many others clearly do, really admire you wanting to broaden your knowledge and be informed about your role.

Regarding courses, it entirely depends how you want to approach this: there are many short courses you can do or if you prefer extended ones which can be done as day release or on-line. Short course wise, Treelife and the Arb Association run a variety of good short courses (Home and Arboricultural Association). As for good all around qualifications, the RFS level 2 is a very good introduction and well taught at Merrist Wood Adult Courses

Good luck with whatever route you take and keep us informed - it's really nice to see people develop and succeed and, despite some rudeness, this is a great forum from which to learn :thumbup:

Wow what a warm welcome to a new member :001_rolleyes:. Someone comes on here seeking advice, and is instantly remonstrated for daring to ask? It is a fact of life that as people move across departments, they will be placed into positions that they have to learn a new area that they aren't familiar with.

Pink fairy, on behalf of the membership,please don't take to heart the attitudes of the small minority here, most here are only too keen to help. Please hang around, your input on certain other topics may prove invaluable to those of us who don't know everything.

i think its great you are trying to further yourself and understand what you are being asked to do off your own back.

Good luck with courses there are plenty about and people have already posted a number of good links.

Good luck with the learning! careful you don't actually find yourself geeking out over trees like most of us on here! :001_smile:

Welcome to the forum Fairy and don't be put off by those who are very quick to judge.

The basic tree survey course run by the Arb Association would be a good place to start. I have done a few courses over the years and that one will cover all the bases you need working in LA. If its mainly TPO's and planning related stuff you deal with, get your head into the blue book, BS5837 and BS3998.

I work in LA and am still learning all the time, every situation you come across is different and can be a bit daunting at first, but there's only one way to learn, get stuck in and don't be put off by previous comments.

Hope this helps a bit :thumbup:

Thank you so much for all of your kind replies! I did ask for this thread to be deleted - but I'm glad I was talked round.

All the information you've provided is brilliant and very helpful!

Yes the aboricultualist that works for our Borough is so helpful and he's going to take me out for the day to share his knowledge - which I am looking forward to. I've emailed the Arb Association to see whether they offer the course locally to me.

Loving the look of the book you've recommended too!

I'll have to remember about the ignore button lol

Tree Warden scheme details here: Scheme Details | The Tree Council

If possible you should apply via your parish council but this is sometimes ineffective as they don't always know much about it. I went direct to county council chief forestry officer - good luck, drop me a line if you hit any snags.

There is also a thread earlier on in the forum (search PTI) and you should find some details about Guy Watson teaching the Professional Tree Inspectors course early in June (not sure what area you're in but worth talking to him to see what his schedule and locations are)