Life Cover and Critical Illness - Working at height

Beezy

Dear All

Any advice, much appreciated!

We are finalising and hopeful on an exchange on our first house soon.

We need to sort life cover and critical illness, although it seems that a lot of policies need more clarification re working at height, one we are considering asks "do you work at over 40ft more than 10% of the time?"

I mainly work as a surveyor consultant for a firm, although I do sometimes (somewhat occasionally) work on the tools or carry out climbing inspections, really hard to quantify the time spent above that height?!

Who do you guys insure with, and any advice re the above question or how to quantify it?

Cheers! :thumbup1:

Beezy

If you take down a 40 ft tree you would be only a very short while at 40ft. Therefore you would need to do crown work alot or take a big tree down everyday to get that 10%

i.e 1 in 10 hours above 40ft. 39 is less

If you take down a 40 ft tree you would be only a very short while at 40ft. Therefore you would need to do crown work alot or take a big tree down everyday to get that 10%

i.e 1 in 10 hours above 40ft. 39 is less

I agree Goaty, it's a bit like the "how long do you use a piece of equipment for?" This should only be trigger time, so fairly low (unless a monster hedge or ringing up a stem)

Actually, bit of a crap example really! ;)

I'm with CICA, for personal accident, and sickness cover and Critical illness. They have no restraints on working at height, or bizarre outdoor dangerous pursuits. On the occasions I have needed to make a claim (once on each policy) they have paid out promptly and with the minimum of paperwork. They have done everything they claimed to do to make my life easier when I've needed it most. In the past, CICA had an annoying habit of sending a rep around far too frequently, cajoling people into buying insurance that wasn't fit for purpose IMO. This has now stopped, they have changed their sales technique and are IME a better company for it.

These days, insurance is a necessary evil, you don't always have to have it, but anything that helps protect your income is a bonus. The last thing anyone needs when the chips are down is to be worrying about how they can pay the household bills.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 5/24/2013 at 09:35, Andy Collins said:

I'm with CICA, for personal accident, and sickness cover and Critical illness. They have no restraints on working at height, or bizarre outdoor dangerous pursuits. On the occasions I have needed to make a claim (once on each policy) they have paid out promptly and with the minimum of paperwork. They have done everything they claimed to do to make my life easier when I've needed it most. In the past, CICA had an annoying habit of sending a rep around far too frequently, cajoling people into buying insurance that wasn't fit for purpose IMO. This has now stopped, they have changed their sales technique and are IME a better company for it.

These days, insurance is a necessary evil, you don't always have to have it, but anything that helps protect your income is a bonus. The last thing anyone needs when the chips are down is to be worrying about how they can pay the household bills.

Hi Andy,  you still with CICA?  I need to get some sickness and accident cover too as my Wife keeps reminding me i'm not super human.

Actually, when you think  abt it ( 40 foot fall is generally accepted to be the lethal level of falls ) falling from higher up would mean you were usually deaded, whilst a lower level fall could result in long term care , loss income fr years ect . Most work at height falls are lower that 40 foot going by HSE stats. So really,  insurance should be cheaper if yr roped at over 40 foot cos its single payment n Good night Vienna . K

• Like 1