termination knots

DrewB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ran about 60 drop and pulltests of arb systems using scaffold knots in a controlled environment with dynos.

Not one issue.

Have you ever wondered what might happen to a stitched eye if the shrink wrap is over heated? I've seen it a couple of times - the stitching melts but you don't see it.

A friction splice pulled out on a Buddy of mine and he fell 35 feet. It was the ropes second day of use, and he is meticulous about safety.

The point is, don't blindly trust to things.

I will usually prefer to knot my lifelines for many reasons.

I tryed the fishermans but wasnt keen on it after the knot came undone when i was climbing, it ws that quick i never knew what happened until i hit the floor. i know alot of climbers that use it too that have no problems with it, was tought the bowline and thats what i use now.

I use bowline, but be aware that if you use the yosemite tie-off and you have a tight little bow, you could accidentally clip into the wrong loop.

I have done this and was only just saved from a drop by the shrink wrap on the end.

yeah the knots were fresh but had been tightened by hand pretty tight. knot was a klemheist(it showed what could happen when transfering from footlock style into standard climbing tech) and it was an 80kg block of wood straight dropped from between 30cm and 100cm.it was just a reminder of worst case scenario really. also same weight was dropped 30 cm onto an ascender on spectra rope and it stripped the outer core of the rope off.its good fun seeing gear getting destroyed!!

any chance you could post that vid or whatever it was on here???

I use bowline, but be aware that if you use the yosemite tie-off and you have a tight little bow, you could accidentally clip into the wrong loop.

I have done this and was only just saved from a drop by the shrink wrap on the end.

This happened to the guy I was working with 1 year ago. He fell about 40ft and suffered some very nasty injuries. Everyone who uses this knot should be aware that care must be taken.

You have lost me here. I use the yosenite tie off on a bowline after my splice rubbed nastily agains my sliky. I do not understand what your saying. If the knot is tied correctly then there only is one loop however small or large.

Could you elaborate or do you have a pic of the knot with said tie off and problem.

Cheers,

Rich

Laz,

How did the splice pull out? Stupid question if the splice was lock stitched or whiplocked suitably this shouldn't have occured. i can hand pull / massage most splices apart but i'm yet to pull out a lock stitched eye.

Don't trust things blindly, that goes without saying.

If i ever need to tie a knot i generally use a bowline with a yosemite tie off, provided you Tie, Dress and Set the knot correctly there is only one loop. i normally tie a fishermans abover it to keep teh end out the way as well.

Jamie