best spray for bramble and rhododendron

woodland dweller

Napalm is pretty effective, failing that try agent orange, decimated huge areas of primary jungle in the 60's

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It is a pity that you cant get 245-T (agent orange) anymore, it would reduce any jungle (including bramble and nettle) leaving grass only

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had been using 125mls per 10 litres which is 0.5% but you need to retreat. People talk about using 2% but then don't actually use that or specify what they mean. So I'll have to use 500mls per 10L (expensive but hopefully no retreat).

Problem is the instructions are useless and there are the two variables of how much you put on per hectare (ie how quickly it comes out the spray) and the concentration of roundup in that spray. The online instructions are better and at least give a proper 2% = 500mls per 10l statement.

10l = 10 000ml (10 000/100)x2 = 2% of volume = 200ml. In a 15l knapsack, add 300ml to 15l water (that's 15300ml) to get a 2% solution or near enough.

For litres per hectare time 1 minute of spraying into a bucket then measure amount. Following calculation for litres per hectare (advised on the label):

100 x Water in jug (l) / Spray width (m) = Actual spray volume (end mix)

THEN

Tank capacity (l) x product dose rate (l/ha) / Actual spray volume = Herbicide needed for tank capacity

The spray width in the first line of calculations is the width of the nozzle. If spot treating like with Rhody, call it less than or equal to 0.25m as your nozzle is close to the plant.

Anyhow, 500ml per 10l is 5% solution I reckon.

Been out spraying today - 225ml Gallup Hi Activ with 250ml Mixture B in 15l sprayer. That should give me 456 l/ha spray volume at around just over 6.5l/ha roundup.

Edited by Rhob the Log

Round up wont touch woody growth. Waste of time. If you use timberol you won't have to mix with anything.

And yet glyphosate is used in ecoplugs?!

If you are using glyphosate, make sure you use the strongest one (360g/l undiluted) which is supposed to be mixed at 35ml/5l (70ml in 10l, but as I was using a jug, 100ml was the smallest graduation)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

So Rhob the log has demonstrated the confusion. He is making up 2% of the entire solution but not allowing for roundup pro being a 41% concentrate (not 100%). So he needs 2.5 times as much to actually make a 2% solution of Glypho. If you google Roundup Pro and get the 5mb instructions it actually is helpful and tells you that when they say a 2% solution to treat difficult weeds, they mean 500mls in 10 litres. It seems that people are making up all sorts of solutions and calling them 2%.

No, making up between 5.9 and 7.3l per hectare, as recommended by the label, not a %age. As stated; mine is 49% glyphosate solution(gallup hiActiv), not 36% as recommended by the FC(roundup biactiv 360). I'd rather use the label than a different product's instructions, sorry.

Hmmm, seen these instructions. They say "Using standard nozzles giving 200 litres per hectare, at 1 bar pressure and a walking speed of 1 metre per second, a 20 litre knapsack covers 1000 metres²"

Well, my nozzle emits 1.14l per minute and I can walk a little faster than 1m a second.

I get what you're saying, I really do but with Rhody and Bramble you have to spray higher volume i.e. to just before run-off. You're looking at 500 - 750 l/ha, not 200. For species/situation-specific advice, read the label.