Thoughts on saw running problem

Pastonian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than buy a second hand 044 at the excellent price of £180 you decided to buy some Chinese heap of crud saving £100.

The two machines aren't even comparable.

Personally Id of rather had an older machine with a few scrapes that works when you need it than a brand new heap of junk that breaks first time its used.

You might only cut two trees a year but with the stihl you could ree sell it for what you bought it from, the cheapo youll be lucky to get £50

Edited by Pro Gard

Well truth be known some people can make any thing run ,some can't .

Those that can't turn a wrench often chastise those that buy cheap . I choose not to myself .

Pshaw I know of some folks that recommend buying an 066 just to cut firewood . Makes sense to me,spend 1200 bucks American to cut maybe 3 cords of wood and sit for the next 11 months .

I won't argue that a person has to pay for quality but you can get by with less with a little effort . I see very good buys at garage sales and auctions on saws that died from just sitting from lack of use .More times than not just a carb rebuild gets them going again .

Now I'm not one in favor of Asian stuff .However I recently acquired a little Echo that had sat for 15 years with a screwed up rewind . About twenty minutes of work and that thing fired on the 4 th pull . To tell the truth this thing is not that bad,cuts great and is all metal . Besides that it was a trimmers saw and anything that can hold up in that type of service has to be pretty tough . So ,you just never know ,it might surprise you .Did me .

Tinkering at weekend made little difference, will be swapping the carb with my mates to see what happens soon and have a free replacement lined up if it proves to be that.

Exactly as Al says above, with a little effort i'm sure it'll get it sorted and it will meet my needs, along the way i'm learning more around chainsaw mechanics which i'm sure will be usefull thanks to the constructive posters on here who have taken the time to try and help, not just slate "cheap saws" :thumbup1:

Now here is something I just don't understand .Somebody explain it if you can .

You Brits build some of the fastest two cycle motorcycles in the world .Fact is I often get my porting tips from British bike sites .Hows come nobody seems to know a blessed thing about souping up a chainsaw .? Is it just not done at all ?

I mean nothing derogatory by that question it's just something I've thought about for long time and never got an answer to .

No.1 never buy a second hand chainsaw No.2 when you have an good chainsaw you want to keep it so do not use the common petrol mix simply use Aspin ! .. Its expensive so is your Health ...! when you use Aspin it is calculated also in your price ..work ..etc.. you do not pay for it but your customer and it is 10 times better for your chainsaw and you will have your chainsaw a hell of a lot longer ..! Take this advise or dump it