Cramp..!!!

Nige156

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last few months iv started getting pretty severe cramps halfway through jobs. Mainly my forearms and shoulderblades, making climbing and finishing the job painful. Tried stretching before/during the job, pain relief and a small fortune on deep heat, but I'm still getting hands like Jeremy beedle after a few hours :) Does anyone else experience this and if so has anyone found a way of stopping or lessening the effects??

It's all that tugging in the bath...:biggrin:

Your electrolyte levels need to be replenished.As well as keeping your hydration in check a sports type drink as well through the day should sort it.

Tonic water, which contains quinine, takes away the effects pretty well.

Some great info here, thanks guys! I'm guessing it's the salt that's a problem, I do keep well hydrated all day, went to a few sunny places in my previous career so I'm very wary of drinking plenty and not letting my wee go brown an smell like sugar puffs :-)

Pistol pete, my arms are sore from carrying you all day :-)

TGB that was really useful thanks...it's been happening alot lately, especially on big dismantles but yesterday was the final point when I thought I can't keep ignoring it an carrying on...caught the bull rope twice with the saw ( through sloppy termination of hitches...due to cramped hands). Luckily I'd only just started back cutting so it was easily sorted, but that was my que to get down and pack up for the day. I had a total shocker if I'm honest...a fair old tree granted, but as soon as I started cramping I wasn't properly focused. Something I'm sure we all know you need to be ( especially chogging down 6ft sections of 30" beech in the rain).

Something else to add to the daily routine of getting older & still climbing trees :-)