Country shows???

Hi guys I'm doing my first country show this weekend and can't decide what to carve there. I'm taking around 10 finished pieces and don't want to be carving anything to big. I was thinking possibly an owl a couple of quick mushrooms. From others experience can anyone recommend things that go down well?

Hi guys I'm doing my first country show this weekend and can't decide what to carve there. I'm taking around 10 finished pieces and don't want to be carving anything to big. I was thinking possibly an owl a couple of quick mushrooms. From others experience can anyone recommend things that go down well?

Rather than look to take something that may go down well, its often better to appear to be working on something good but which is easy for you to tap away at whilst chatting with prospective buyers....a really successful day is one where you look the part, achieve free advertising for yourself and sell items, the piece you 'appear' to be carving may be best to have 3 stages of completion......raw almost untouched section, roughed out section and almost finished section.If you appear to be working on the roughed out section you can explain to people what the piece was like when you started, how it is while you are working on it and then what it looks like nearly finished by referring to each section.

Always worked a treat and draws people into your display.

Keep things simple

Good luck

:thumbup1:

I work on a mobile climbing wall threw summer , last couple of years we worked all the county shows advertising for Saab. Every time I spoke to the chainsaw carvers they said the meerkats were selling well, don't no if people still buy them. But it defiantly gets a big crowed when your carving away.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Rather than look to take something that may go down well, its often better to appear to be working on something good but which is easy for you to tap away at whilst chatting with prospective buyers....a really successful day is one where you look the part, achieve free advertising for yourself and sell items, the piece you 'appear' to be carving may be best to have 3 stages of completion......raw almost untouched section, roughed out section and almost finished section.If you appear to be working on the roughed out section you can explain to people what the piece was like when you started, how it is while you are working on it and then what it looks like nearly finished by referring to each section.

Always worked a treat and draws people into your display.

Keep things simple

Good luck

:thumbup1:

+1 to all you have said if you are there showing what you do then out of 8 hours on site you may get 2 hours max working rest will be talking and handing out cards. have some photos of work you have done so they can see your work finished. and have different hand tools you use to show what they do. word of caution on last keep them by your person or out of eye sight. little hands love to pick things up. last thing you want is a law suit for little johnny being injured. and have you PL liability cover most shows now ask for it. so if something happens on your pitch your covered.

Better advice there than I was hoping thanks very much appreciated I had intended to do a couple of sections I've picked my self up a nice 3x6m gazebo and was going to net off 1 side to chainsaw carve in and then do the refining in the other I'm going to keep this area completely roped off (little jonny) I've also got my PL as they'd asked for it bit stuck with making a risk assessment look good but I'll just use 1 from work and fill in what's necessary therefore I'll have all generics in place etc. I have a couple of people manning the front table and have got some nice pieces. I really like the sound of the start to finish staging through maybe 5 logs

Great advice guys I'll def try get a few pics as long as it looks as good as it does in my head. 😁

I have done more a few shows now and the most important thing is to have a second person there with you as said by others. You need them to have basic knowledge of what you are doing but the main thing is that they will be able to keep an eye on your kit, sell your stuff and stop any one from entering your work area. make sure you rope off a big area to work in ( I always ask the organisers for at least 8m x 8m you will be amazed how much space you can fill. take a gazebo or other shelter for the person helping you to stand under and to keep your kit dry but have it within your roped off are so that people cant wonder into it.

stuff your helper needs to know.

Most important. where is the first aid post and event organiser in case any thing goes badly wrong.

How to get your attention without putting them self at risk of you turning round and slashing them up.

what kind of wood your using, people always ask.

The Price of every thing.

what you are carving on the day.

do they need to treat their carving that they have just bought and if so what with.

make sure you have business cards or your contact details displayed.

have a photo album of your portfolio.

I always have my piece im planning to work on roughed out so that when people start coming round there is something for them to see right from the start. you may think you have all day to carve but the truth is every time you stop to refuel there will be some one waiting to talk to you and the hours will race by. my general rule is for an 8 hour event I will look to carve something I know I can finish in 3hrs tops . make sure it is some thing that doesn't need sanding and lots of finishing off, so that if some one wants to buy it when you have finished it they can take it home with them on the day. I take a few spare logs just in case I need to bulk out my time and carve some small stuff.

remember to take stuff for cleaning up after yourself.

remember to take your PL insurance certificate with you as some organisers will not let you set up until they have seen it.

have fun